Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2005, 11:21 PM

Default Play this hand against me

Party 30/60 10 handed. You know who I am and I know who ou are. A very loose player limps UTG+1. You raise black Queens behind him and I three-bet. The rest of the table is pretty tight, they all fold. Limper cold calls and you cap.

Flop comes 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Sucky limper checks, you bet, I call, limper calls.

Turn is a T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Limper checks, you bet, and now I raise. Limper folds. Your play? Opponent in this hand thought that 3 betting was the right play. Now I fourbet, what's the play now?
-James
Old 04-08-2005, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Play this hand against me

Fold. His three bet sucks.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:28 PM

So you fold to the initial raise, or are you calling down if you don't three-bet?
-James
Old 04-08-2005, 11:30 PM

I don't 3 bet this. If you have JJ and were trying for the free showdown play if you missed your gutter then it worked. I am showing down as cheaply as I can unless I catch on the river.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:33 PM

call it down.

I think James has AA or KK, but I can't fold this. Getting nearly 9-1, I have to call it down.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't 3 bet this. If you have JJ and were trying for the free showdown play if you missed your gutter then it worked. I am showing down as cheaply as I can unless I catch on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are paying off the river? On the river you only beat a bluff, right? Unless you think I'd value bet JJ..
-James
Old 04-08-2005, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you fold to the initial raise, or are you calling down if you don't three-bet?
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not sure, but it's a little closer than your opponent and everybody else thinks it is. I rarely fold in this spot, and usually its an auto call down for me. It would depend a lot on our past history, what you thought of my play, etc. But he should know that you arnt try to shake him off a better hand here. Say you would three bet AK. AQs and 99-AA preflop. I dont think you'll push AK or AQ like this because you cant except him to lay down a better hand in a pot this size. Postflop lets say you'll play 1010-AA the way you played it here. If thats close to true he is in bad shape and his three bet is really bad. I cant say what I would do unless I had the Queens in my hand, but I'm leaning towards calling it down and hating it.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:01 AM

the 3 bet makes me want puke, i would call the raise and call the river. If i did three bet i am folding i am folding to the 4 bet.
dave
Old 04-09-2005, 12:14 AM

When you raise the turn and I decide to continue I have to be hoping you have JJ, QQ or you are just out and out bluffing. This is obvious. Much more likely you have AA, KK or a set.

3 betting gets you to lay down the bluff. Outstanding.

I wouldn't even call unless I thought there was something like a 20% chance you were bluffing. Not having played you I can't say what the chance really is.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When you raise the turn and I decide to continue I have to be hoping you have JJ, QQ or you are just out and out bluffing. This is obvious. Much more likely you have AA, KK or a set.

3 betting gets you to lay down the bluff. Outstanding.

I wouldn't even call unless I thought there was something like a 20% chance you were bluffing. Not having played you I can't say what the chance really is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think about hands you might bet the river with in that scenario. Is a call correct against you? Is there an 11% chance I'd be ahead if you were the turn raiser and river bettor? If not, what's the worst hand it is correct to call with?
-James