Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 11:52 AM

Default First hand of tournament: big decision

$110 multi, about 100 players. Starting chip stack is T2000. Starting blinds are 25/50. First hand of tourney: Folded to me in MP. I get AK and raise to 200, and get 3 callers including the button. The SB and BB fold. Pot size is 875 with 4 players. Flop is A44 rainbow. I lead out with 500. The first 2 callers fold, but the button minraises to T1000. What do you put the button on, and what should my action be?
Old 11-28-2005, 12:19 PM

Default Re: First hand of tournament: big decision

Button's Range: AK-AT, plus small chance of A4s. Even smaller chance of a stubborn big pair that regrets not reraising preflop.

Push: way ahead of most of range, good chance to double up early. If he called a raise on the button with 54s, well good for him, if stacks were deeper you might have to consider this.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Push: way ahead of most of range, good chance to double up early

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-28-2005, 12:26 PM

push. if has a 4, oh well.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:29 PM

I'd re-raise. Unless he's got 44, AA or A4 (the latter appears most likely), you're doubling up. If he has me beat, better now than in the bubble.
However, I don't like your flop bet. If it gets called or re-raised, you can only worry and you are pot-committed. Ideally, IMHO, you want a smaller raise so that you're pulling along AQ etc. but not so big that if you do get re-raised so early in a tournie by someone you know nothing about, you can throw the hand away.
But, saying that, I would be very surprised if I was beaten and not unhappy with myself if I went out on this hand.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:18 PM

flop bet a little too steep. you want to value bet this flop. too steep and you push away most hands you have beat. can't honestly believe someone is playing a 4 for your preflop raise. A suited A4 maybe. Would a boat reraise? More likely a boat is going to rope a dope. Anyhow i go broke on this hand, and figure villain for AQ, AJ, AT, QQ-99. I either call here and push turn or push here. If villain has AA or 44, awful strange way of playing this hand.

Obviously you are posting this hand because you got beat and villain played the hand really weird.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:38 PM

Grunch:

The min raise is a sure tell of a donk (which fits HIS betting pattern) or a VERY tricky player using this on-line easy donk click (its a 1 click raise, no thought required!!)

Obviously, no reads either way, you are pretty much pot committed if you call, so push or fold. I'm probably pushing. Either way, make notes for future reference . . .
Old 11-28-2005, 01:48 PM

First hand, button with multiway action can be playing a hand
with a four but more likely hands are a hand with an Ace. I've got almost half my stack out there already. I'm not going any where with this. Call. If you push he might fold a hand with a smaller Ace. He might interpret your call
as a sign of weakness and continue betting the turn and river. You're either way ahead or way behind.

Bruce
Old 11-28-2005, 02:35 PM

"What do you put the button on, and what should my action be?"

First hand of the tourney, its really tough to say. He could have a 4 or a weaker A and he could be bluffing. Re-raising gives him a chance to get off a weaker A, while you're still smashed to a 4.
You are way ahead, way behind. Problem is, you are OOP. Still, I think I call and give him a chance to put more chips in on the turn.
If he checks the turn, I value bet the river.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:41 PM

This is a way ahead way behind situation, I call the flop, check the turn and call a push or push if he bets less than 800. If he checks the turn I push the river.