Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 02:30 PM

Default Thought Provoking 75-150 Hand

Game is a three handed 75-150 Hold Em game at the Taj Mahal. Game is very good without tons of tricky play. I have A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the SB. Button folds, I raise and the BB calls. The BB is playing in a full game style and doesn't seem to be making too many moves. The flop comes A-3-5 rainbow style. I bet and he calls. The turn is an 8 completing the rainbow. I bet and he calls. The river is a 2. I bet and he raises.

My only question really is about the river. This being short, conventional wisdom classifies this as an automatic payoff. But, I give this player some credit to knowing what he's doing. He should know there is a good chance I have an ace and will call his raise, yet he still raises. I just don't seem him making this raise without two pair minimum and I think it's very likely he has a hand like A4 for the wheel. Or maybe he hit his kicker. Or maybe he flopped a set and waiting till the river to lay the hammer down. I don't see him doing this with nothing in the face of me being likely to have some kind of ace. So can I fold here or would everyone pay this off 3-handed against someone you don't have a ton of experience with (outside of stud, which is his primary game).

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 10-11-2005, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Thought Provoking 75-150 Hand

call.

if you lose at least you wont have to wonder where your at next time.

Barron
Old 10-11-2005, 02:35 PM

You have to pay it off. It's too likely that he made two pair. I think that it's a split decision between him having two pair or a set, and him having A4. I seriously doubt he's making a play at this pot. So, I pay off and hope he shows me A little. But all in all, I think it's an easy call especially given the fact that this is a live game and the info. is worth it if nothing else....

Tex
Old 10-11-2005, 02:37 PM

I'd pay it off. Like you said could be a worse two pair.

Anyone like a turn checkraise? He's got something to call a flop bet on that board, and with the amped up aggression in a blind war, he's very likely to bet the turn, right?

Default HOLD THE PHONE

Turn was an 8, not a 9. I did NOT have two pair, just a pair of aces. My bad for the typo...it is now fixed in original post.

Jeff

Easy Call. He could have flopped aces up, hit aces up on the river, or just slowplayed a big ace preflop. In a blind battle like this, I can easily see him waiting until the river with any decent hand because he wants you to keep betting with [censored].

Well now I'm changing everything because of your new turn info obviously. This makes the river a lot more interesting. The only hands he's raising you with that you can beat is A6 and A7. This is ugly, but I think you need to fold especially if this guy isn't very tricky. I think there are just too many possible things he could have that have you beat. Like you said, very possible he paired his kicker, could have the straight, although less likely as well as a set. Not to mention he could have you outkicked, but since you said that this guy wasn't very tricky, he probably would have reraised with something like AJ-AK. I just don't see what he is raising you with that you beat, given your read on him. Would he really call on the turn with just a 5 or something? I don't think he is raising a PP above eights, since as you said he has to figure you for an Ace especially after you bet the river. I just don't think this call makes you money in the long run. Just my two cents though.

Turn was an 8, not a 9...I fixed typo. Sorry for mistake...but another response would be appreciated.

Jeff
Old 10-11-2005, 02:38 PM

IMO there are just too many hands that he could be value raising here that you beat. I think you have to pay this one off.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:42 PM

does noone else consider 4-4 or 4-5.