Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2005, 04:58 PM

Default Pruitt\'s article on bluffing

I liked his second bluff (or really, semi-bluff) for all of the reasons he stated. Cold-calling a raise, then betting the flush card on 4th street, seems like a perfect time to run a bluff.

His first bluff, namely raising the river on a busted draw when the top card pairs, I'm not so much a fan of. Pruitt's read is that villain holds either a "strong Q, a set, an overpair, or perhaps QT." Additionally, he leaves open the possibility that villain was "pushing a drawing hand very hard (like KJ or AK)."

Given this read, the board pairing on the river isn't helpful. If the villain's 3-bet from the SB and 3-bet on the flop + leading the turn was bona fide strength, the board pairing the river isn't going to be particularly scary. Any set just made a boat, so did QT, and any queen made trips. Any overpair will call for a single bet.

The only hand hero can win against is a busted draw (AK or KJ). Both of these seem unlikely, since villain was described as "a fairly aggressive, solid opponent."

On balance, given this hand, I'd prefer to call the flop, semi-bluff raise the turn, and fold the river UI. I dont think it was a good time to bluff.