Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-06-2005, 05:20 PM

Default Protecting against flushes OOP

Earlier today I played a hand versus a pretty loose and aggro villain preflop. Postflop he was the type the could be pretty aggressive if noone else showed aggression, but could give it up if someone checkraised him or bet big on next street.

The hand (200$ NL Pokerroom): Villain raised to 8$ from MP2. I called in the BB with AKo. Flop is 4TK with two spades. I check and villain bets 8$. I checkraise to 25$ and villain hesitates a little before he calls. The turn is a blank and there is 60$ in the pot. We both have 150$+ left.

With the action so far I'm pretty certain villain is on a flushdraw or has KQ or AK, but I think the flushdraw is more likely. I now bet 50$ into the pot which doesn't give villain immediate odds for the flushdraw. My thoughts at the moment were that since I'm not giving him immediate odds for the flush this bet is making me money if I don't put another dime in there is the flushcard hits. The villain hesitates for 5 seconds or something and then calls.

The river is another spade. The moment that spade came I started thinking that he could have AK or KQ aswell (a set was also a distant possibility), and if villain decided to bet those hands it would be very hard for me to call. In my frustration I put a blocker out there for about 1/3 of the pot. Villain thought for a little while before he put me allin for my last 65$ of the stack. I managed to fold, but I hated it. And I hated myself for putting that blocker out there, because that made villains call a much better one, and my turn bet much worse.
My original plan was to checkfold the river if the flush hit, but if villain bets some smallish bet like 1/4 of the pot, how can I not call?

Is it better to check the turn even if I'm 80% certain he is on the flushdraw?

I notice there are quite a few LAGs hanging around at this forum, how to you see the situation from villains point of view in this hand? If you yourself held AK or KQ, would you call the turn and bet the river flush if I checked the river, figuring you might get a split or make me lay down the same or better hand?