Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-31-2005, 04:09 AM

Default First NL Post: Calling W/ TP vs Big River Bet

I play limit but was playing around at a 50 NL. Sat down a few hands ago, hit some cards, probably have a fairly aggressive image. No reads on villain.

All comments welcome, river especially:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

UTG+1 ($34.70)
MP1 ($44.35)
MP2 ($72.49)
MP3 ($49.55)
CO ($47.60)
Button ($45.10)
Hero ($78.10)
BB ($24.01)
UTG ($53.10)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.25. UTG posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG+1 calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $1.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero (poster) calls $1.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $1.

Flop: ($5) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, CO calls $2.

Turn: ($17) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $10</font>, Hero calls $5.

River: ($37) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $20</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $57
Old 12-31-2005, 04:24 AM

Default Re: First NL Post: Calling W/ TP vs Big River Bet

[ QUOTE ]
I play limit ....

<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

You play limit? Who'da thunk it. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

What you limit folks call a raise, we call a minraise, and we frown heavily upon such foolishness. If you're gonna raise, make a real raise and enjoy the wonders of NL.

As for the hand, don't 3-bet the flop. As a matter of fact, don't bet the flop. Checking to the raiser to see what he does is a goot line, then call and lead the turn. Or, if you insist, lead the flop for a real bet. Like pot-sized.

The turn as played is not so goot either. In NL, you look at the size of the bet in relation to the pot. Anything under 1/2 pot is weak. Your $5 bet is weak and really serves no purpose other than it being a big sign that says "please run over me".

As played when he raises you on the turn, you have to look ahead. If I call this bet, what will happen on the river. If I check the river and he bets 2/3 pot, will I call? If the answer to that question is "No" than you need to fold to his turn minraise.

PS. His river bet is not big.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:25 AM

I fold preflop. KQ oop sucks. On the flop, bet pot size. You need to charge the flush draw properly and show your strength. When he min raises, just call. If you did reraise, put in a real reraise (but don't). When the heart hits, you should be done with the hand. If you weren't already beat on the flop, you're beat now. I'm check-folding the turn. If you did bet the turn, it should be close to pot size so he won't attack you with any two cards. When he raises the turn, fold. Read more posts in this forum before playing!! Also, please sit at my table and play like this [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-31-2005, 04:41 AM

Hi,

I do not like the call with KQs against a raise with an UTG limper. Looks like trouble to me. Reraise or fold.

My flop line: Check

a. CO bets/UTG raises/well... its only one pair.
b. CO bets/UTG calls/call
c. CO checks/UTG checks/very nice! He is scared of the flop or slowplays a set. If he bets the turn call. If both check bet.

The river problem is homemade. You are building a big pot with TP+decent kicker. The board is wonderful for his core raising range AK/AA/KK/QQ/JJ/TT/AK/AQ/AJ. I think there is only little reason to believe that you are ahead on the river.

Chris
Old 12-31-2005, 05:14 AM

Fold PF, but if you don't...

Flop bet has to be bigger... Remember, a bet of less than half the pot is giving him almost 4-1 odds to call with a FD, which makes it correct. Your bet should be somewhere in the $4-5 range.

Certainly don't 3 bet the flop - call his minraise and see what comes on the turn, but based on this action I don't think he's on a FD. It's looking like a AA, a miracle KK set, or AK.

Based on that read, I'm going to check/fold the turn. Played as you did, though, you obviously believe you're ahead and the same rule applies - bet enough so that it's incorrect to call with a draw. Should be in the $12-17 range.

All told, though, you save yourself a lot of money by not playing KQ into a raise.