Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2004, 11:11 AM

Default Re: How to “act weak”?

Rolf's got a great point here that many people usually miss: while some things are perfectly acceptable to do, and may be profitable in the short term, while everyone will use the backdoor excuse that you're not there to make friends, there is a whole lifetime to think about in live games, and making an extra big bet in one game at one time is apt to cost you so much more in the long term, so much so that I have opted to produce this incredibly long run-on sentence to emphasize said point.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 12-23-2004, 03:53 PM

the only time i can remember that i intentionally acted weak worked perfectly for me. i was playing heads up with a friend of mine who i play with a lot. i flopped a full house and he was betting and i was smooth calling down to the river. i knew he had some sort of hand, and i wanted to appear as if i didnt have one to put all my chips in with. at the river he asked me to count down my chips, and there wasnt too much that wasnt in the pot. i counted it real slow, and acted real uncomfortable. then i acted like i [censored] up and counted it again. i was knocking a couple chips over and just generally acting like i really didnt want to go all in. so finally he goes "ill put you all in" and my immediate response was "call". it was fun.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:04 PM

I almost feel like you really have to read Caro's Book of Tells before ever talking about this. It's good and a quick read. So take a couple hours to go to a Barnes&Noble to read it.

One of the points in his book is that people fall into 2 categories... The actors(that's you) and the non-actors.

A corrollary of this is that if you are trying to ACT weak, it is more likely to work on a non-actor. The actors are expecting everyone else to be acting too. With them, act strong when you're strong... they won't believe you. So you should first find out if your opponent is an actor himself before trying to act on him.

Also, people with strong hands usually act disinterested... look away from the pot or the table. People who are weak watch the cards coming out, are really interested in what the other players are doing, and more often stare at you when they're bluffing.

Against your typical acting live player, if you want to act weak, act strong by acting weak. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] Stare him down, bet aggresively, try to look like you are trying to push him around.

- Jason
Old 12-23-2004, 06:58 PM

Unless you are playing with total beginners with too much money who will make a big all in call for what they think is a read (this player really doesn't exist), don't act weak.

If you're coming onto the internet asking "How can I act?" I guarantee you any decent player will see right through it. It entertains me when I see someone try this.

I think only the most seasoned professionals can "act weak" But they do not do it through acting or a tell, they set people up with different hands and betting sizes.

A lot of no limit hands the best players play are played to be traps for 50 hands later. IE, a player bluffs in one situation several times and waits to have an all in hand to call the resteal with.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:19 PM

Bring a book to the table with you like Positively Fifth Street. You'll look like a newbie.

And say things like any two will do or they were sooooted...
Old 12-24-2004, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of the points in his book is that people fall into 2 categories... The actors(that's you) and the non-actors.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess this was an assumption behind my post, without so stating. I often try to target the other players as (1) actors or (2) non-actors. Along the same lines, I am looking to see if they are (1) paying attention to the other players or (2) staring at their hand and the cards only. This also gives you insight into their overall level of play. This "acting" question clearly only comes into play after you scope these factors out at your table, and decide it might have a purpose in that particular game with select players.

I have read Caro's book, and I think some of it is outdated, while other points have been very useful for me. This is why I like to see what others have to say on this site about these topics.

I appreciate Rolf's input on this issue. This is the kind of response that makes this site so useful (not being sarcastic here) -- solid advice in rare but specific situations. I will use sparingly, if ever.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:46 PM

I think that the correct answer to this question is so obvious that I am amazed that it hasn't been posted yet.

When trying to act in such a manner to get my opponent to react how I would like I first assess how knowledegable he is about the game. If I can safely assume that he has not read any books nor played many live hands I do nothing, it is not going to make a difference anyway.

However, if I can assume that my opponent is studying me, is well read, and studies the game, but does not give me much credit as a poker player (because I am a college kid,) then I have him exactly where I want him. I know that he has read Caro and is looking for a weak means strong, strong means weak reaction *yawn.*

Therefore when I want him to call I try to act as overtly strong as possible. I forcefully slam my bet onto the felt and stare him in the eyes trying to intimidate him. He is looking for stegnth from me as a sign of weakness so I will give him as much stregnth as possible.

Against the third type of player, the 'enlightened' villain who knows about the above strategy. I do not try to really induce a call through my mannerisms. I have played heads up scenarios where I have created a 'fake tell' but that is a special case. Normally if an opponent is strong enough to know that I am trying to trick him, I won't try to trick him for fear that he will see through my act.

It is that middle type of opponent, those who give themselves too much credit and me not enough credit, who must be exploited through reverse tells.

(Also, I would reccomend picking up Caro's book of poker tells - but keep in mind that a good player will know that you have read this and will attempt to use your information against you.)

Steve
Old 03-29-2005, 03:21 PM

Damn you bandfan that was a b/s hand anyways!
Old 03-29-2005, 04:04 PM

Most times I try to act very even and not worry too much about trying to "act" a certain way.

However with a monster hand the following sometimes works with an agressive opponant. I did this last week at commerce. I had pocket KK and flopped KK. I was bet into and I called to slowplay. Several others called as well. The turn came down a blank and as I raised. All the players dropped out except two. The agressive guy reraised. Instead of capping, I looked down at my chips and made a very small nod as if I was trying to steal the pot with my raise and by being reraised I had been called out. Then I only called the three bet rather then capping. On the river I again raised and this time capped the three bet. I would have kept raising for ever but I had the guy all in at that point. I think that I made an extra two bets because instead of capping on the turn and getting check called on the river, my play allowed me to cap the river.

Has anyone else tried this?

Greg
Old 03-29-2005, 07:08 PM

Acting is an extremely difficult art form. How many movies have you seen where a bad actor is working and you just want to shout "ACTING!". The Best film actors can pull you in, suspend disbelief, and affect your emotions. But even with the best actors it's easy to tell the difference between "Cops" and a Cop Show. Watch these actors on Celebrity Poker. Their Poker Acts are transparent. And They're professional actors.

PairTheBoard