Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2004, 04:35 PM

Default How to “act weak”?

How do you act weak? I am talking about live games only, and specific tells or mannerisms that are effective to intentionally give the appearance that your hand is weak. I can’t yet picture myself intentionally making my hand tremble when I make a bet, for example, since this is so counter-intuitive to poker, but maybe this works?

Also, do you do this intentionally? I have a feeling this is not a common strategy, since a premium is placed on strength or the appearance of strength in poker. I’ve never intentionally acted weak at the table, but I can think of situations where it would have helped.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:52 PM

Default Re: How to “act weak”?

If you're playing lower limits, just play your cards. Don't worry about "acting" any particular way.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:57 PM

I'm talking at the 15-30 and up range. Playing my cards is easy. Playing the other players is a priority. Maximizing my wins when I have a rock solid hand is a priority.

This is the psychology forum -- its OK to discuss these things here. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2004, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can’t yet picture myself intentionally making my hand tremble when I make a bet, for example, since this is so counter-intuitive to poker, but maybe this works?

[/ QUOTE ]
fyi, according to caro, a shaking hand while betting is a sign of a powerful hand
Old 12-22-2004, 06:55 PM

Default Believe that you ARE

Slump, look away, stare the cards down as if you're trying to make them change with your eyes. Look uneasy, even ill. If you catch your opponent looking at you, glance away and back and away again. Go to make your raise, then hesitate and do it anyway while shaking your head and give a little sigh that sounds like you were trying to hold it in. Then look to the player (there always is one of these) who seems to believe you the most, and give him a look as if to acknowledge his judgement of you as if to say, " You've got me dialed in, I hope HE doesn't." Others will notice.

The key, I've found, to making someone believe you are weak based on your mannerisms is to believe it yourself. So imagine having a busted hand, and BE convinced that you are making the wrong moves. Then your body and facial expressions will follow.

Sometimes I get so much into my own head that I actually end up folding when I knew I was just acting. So keep your intentions before the emotions you provoke within yourself.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Believe that you ARE

[ QUOTE ]
Go to make your raise, then hesitate and do it anyway while shaking your head and give a little sigh that sounds like you were trying to hold it in. Then look to the player (there always is one of these) who seems to believe you the most, and give him a look as if to acknowledge his judgement of you as if to say, " You've got me dialed in, I hope HE doesn't."

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a huge hand. I'm on the internet and I can tell that.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:00 PM

When people lie, thier eyes dart down and left. Not a complete answer but you might be able to use it.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:28 AM

Here is a good link: http://www.poker1.com/newsmanager/te...6&zoneid=3

Remember though that in general, it depends on many variables that you need to take into account on the fly. In other words, things like your image, how sophisticated / skilled your opponent is, how the action came down (ie. what they think you have etc.)

Generally you should not be acting weak or strong, only consistently. Develop a base line betting motion etc. and make deviating from this the exception. It is a much more solid approach and will allow you to focus on more reliable information. Over-acting tends to complicate things.

Save acting for those rare moments when you know your opponent(s) (especially easily manipulated / tilted / weak opponent) is looking for a reason to call and the act is worth the extra bet you may pick up. It's important to remember though that if you act "weak" and then show down a monster, you probably should deviate from that act in similar future situations.

If you are playing w/ sophisticated opponents, acting is really tough to pull off and for most people is just a waste of time. Not many can constantly keep track of "what they think you think they think" for hours on end. But hey, if you are a natural and a very flamboyant player who knows?
Old 12-23-2004, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Go to make your raise, then hesitate and do it anyway while shaking your head and give a little sigh that sounds like you were trying to hold it in. Then look to the player (there always is one of these) who seems to believe you the most, and give him a look as if to acknowledge his judgement of you as if to say, " You've got me dialed in, I hope HE doesn't."

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a huge hand. I'm on the internet and I can tell that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right on! When savvy players see this in the card room, they start laughing and muck as quick as possible
Old 12-23-2004, 10:59 AM

Hi Speak Easy,

I agree with Lash that often, acting very weak (or very strong, for that matter) can be counterproductive, and can easily do more harm than good. Especially at the middle and higher limits, your opponents may look through your act, and you will accomplish nothing - other than looking like a jackass maybe. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Having said that, there is one situation where in limit poker I often (and deliberately) act a little weak, and this might work for you too. Let's say you are in a situation where you have a hand that may well be good, but if not has little chance of improving to the best hand (like a pair of aces / no kicker, with the possibility that you are up against a pair of aces / better kicker, for example). If you are up against someone who is known to bluff rather frequently, but who MAY actually have the best hand, you should often hesitate before calling both on theflop as well as on the turn, and through little gestures / through subtle facial expressions show that the decision whether to fold or to call is really a tough one. You do this to make sure that your opponent will keep on betting until the end, both if indeed he HAS you beat (in which case he would probably have bet anyway, regardless of any act you make or don't make), but also when he is on a stone-cold bluff, so that because of your actions he may feel that his bluff has a good chance of success. (So, you will win more if your hand is good, and lose exactly the same when it's not.) Make sure that you continue this act on the river, too, though, and even if you catch him bluffing show him that you are both relieved and surprised to have won, that you were *really* very close to folding. And of course, don't overuse this ploy, because if you do it too often some of your regular opponents will notice.

Also, I am not that big a fan of people who first pretend to fold, to then suddenly spring to life by raising, or people who try to act very weak when they have in fact flopped the absolute nuts. Especially when you are playing against the same group of players often, there is often a "proper" or "correct" way to behave, and while strictly spoken it is not against the rules, pulling these kinds of tricks will not make you very popular, and may also disrupt the atmosphere at a potentially profitable table. Of course, a little acting is OK, but those who ask for time on the turn, holding top full, are not the people I would ask out for a beer - especially not if they do this when up against a very nice and friendly but also inexperienced player, who may be truly offended by this kind of behavior.

Rolf Slotboom
www.rolfslotboom.com
(new site)