Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2004, 06:08 PM

Default Could I have extracted more? AKs in BB, NL $500-max buy-in

NLHE, $100 min, $500 max buy-in, full 10-handed table. I just sat down about 4 hands earlier, and I have the full $500. Blinds are $2-$5. Button has $2000+. Others involved in this hand have average stacks in the $400-$800 range. Played with a couple at the table before, but not with anyone involved in this hand, so no read on any players yet.

I am in the BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. UTG raises to $20. Five others(!!) call, including Button. SB folds. I check.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check. Everyone checks to Button. Button bets $50. I raise to $150. Everyone folds to Button. Button thinks for a good while, then folds, saying “Nice raise.” I win $190 pot.

I can’t get away from the thought that I could have won more on this hand. My questions:

1. Should I have re-raised pre-flop? A re-raise would certainly have been called by several unless it was big, but a re-raise didn’t seem warranted with this hand in BB after all those callers.

2. Should I have bet on the flop and re-raised if button raised? If I had open bet, it would have been half the pot or more to push the drawing hands out. I was only concerned about KK or AA at this point, which would probably re-raise my opening raise and let me know where I stand(?).

3. Should I have just called Button’s $50 bet or raised the minimum to bring him along and extract more?
Old 10-11-2004, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Could I have extracted more? AKs in BB, NL $500-max buy-in

You might think about betting out and hoping to get raised so you can come over the top, since you smooth-called the raise preflop and your opponents have deep stacks. That seems like the best way to get your entire stack in the middle. I'd lead with a 1/2 pot bet.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:39 PM

Depends on the table. If you think there is a good chance it’ll get raised, then checkraising is ok, particularly since at best your opponents are drawing to 2-4 outs.

If the table is not too agro on flop or are calling stations, then betting out is good, as you’d prefer not to give gutshots and pairs free cards to hit

And I’m not crazy about getting all my money in on the flop here, as AA/KK/88 seem at least as likely as A8/AQ (unless the AQ player is terrible he shouldn’t be putting his whole stack in).

--Greg
Old 10-11-2004, 10:09 PM

in a game this loose you should bet out through the field and hope the button raises so you can smooth call and then bet the turn. that would be my line anyways.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:31 PM

I might try a stop and go. Smoothe call the flop and lead out for about 3/4 pot on the turn. This would trap multiple callers on the flop after you, and take away their odds on the turn.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:48 PM

Hi SpeakEasy,

You played the hand well, IMO. Pre-flop, I definitely wouldn't re-raise, since I don't want to get a huge portion of my stack in at that point with just AKs. Also, you have an opportunity to win a big pot from AQ by not re-raising, since many players will completely rule out AK if you just called.

On the flop, your move was fine, your raise was a good size, and you were unlucky that they didn't have much. Leading into the field, hoping to get raised so that you can re-raise most/all of your stack is also viable, as others have pointed out. You don't have an unbeatable hand here, but with just 500 bucks and 170 in there when it gets to you, you pretty much must get broke with it. Don't get me wrong; I like your hand.

[ QUOTE ]
If I had open bet, it would have been half the pot or more to push the drawing hands out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Half the pot should not move out any legit draws here. The implied odds are way too good.

[ QUOTE ]
I was only concerned about KK or AA at this point,

[/ QUOTE ]

With 2 Aces and 2 Kings accounted for, the size of the initial raise, and the lack of a re-raise, you should be a lot more worried about 88.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:02 PM

cero, how do you like my line of a stop and go?