Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2005, 02:53 AM

Default Live AA vs 1 drunk, 1 decent player

5/10 blinds, $1000 max buy-in live game. UTG+1 has about $1100, and is a solid, decent player -- no other read. CO is drunk, loud, talkative, has built up a massive stack of $2200+ with lucky bad calls, and the whole table is waiting for him to cough it back up. CO is trying to turn the table into one big party. CO has a history of calling a PF raise with any pocket pair or any big cards (KQo, QJs). CO does not have a history of playing low suited connectors in a pot that is raised PF.

Hero is UTG with about $960 and gets A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero raises to $35. UTG+1 calls, CO calls. 3 to the flop, pot is $120.

Flop is 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero bets $75. UTG+1 calls. CO raises to $150. As Hero ponders, CO starts talking smack: "Don't do it. You don't wanna do it. I'll call any raise. You're beat." His tone is somewhat joking, as he has been all night, yet kinda scared.

What's your move?
Old 03-14-2005, 02:58 AM

Default Re: Live AA vs 1 drunk, 1 decent player

"CO does not have a history of playing low suited connectors in a pot that is raised PF." I find it pretty interesting you include this.

Lets talk about UTG here. I put him on either a flush draw or an overpair. If you have AK, you'll check the turn, he'll bet, if you have JJ+, you'll bet, he can fold. This is if he has an overpair.

What really matters with CO is what's his aggression like? He's made a lot of bad calls, has he made alot of big bets / raises? AA is just one pair, but I'm reraising here. $350.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:19 AM

hrmm...set? he might have ace five or some garbage, if its suited. he doesnt have the straight...no two pair...way ahead or way behind, but im not good enough to lay down AA to some trash talk from a drunk guy. repop, and call if he pushes. but i wouldnt expect to win....(sorry this post makes no sense, im on cold medication)
Old 03-14-2005, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What really matters with CO is what's his aggression like? He's made a lot of bad calls, has he made alot of big bets / raises? AA is just one pair, but I'm reraising here. $350.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good, Kaz. This is exactly what I did -- raise to $350.

UTG+1 thinks for a long time, starts muttering, and its clear that this is a close, troubling call for him. He calls.

Drunk CO suddenly gets quiet, and doesn't like my re-raise either, but he calls. As for your question, Kaz, the only time that he's made big re-raises has been when he has been heads up, and has actually declared out loud what he thinks his opponent has before making the raise. On one particular hand (not involving me), it was something like "I put you on AK, and I can beat that, so I'm raising." He had no comments after my re-raise.

Turn makes the board (2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Hero is again first to act. What's your move?
Old 03-14-2005, 04:09 PM

Bet to see where you are in the hand... in the unlikely event that he's just caught a set, watch for it. Most like you're still ahead and you will wanna get all your money in here
Old 03-14-2005, 04:11 PM

bump