Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 03:24 AM

Default 5 card draw button fold

I have a pair of 7's and one caller (it's five handed), standard play or too tight?
Old 11-27-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Re: 5 card draw button fold

Standard
Old 11-27-2005, 07:23 PM

i assume you are talking about opening, right?

if so; were you going to openraise or just limp in?

if limping; this is definately the worst play you could make. if one of the blinds raise after you limp what will you do? are you going to call?(bad play) if not why enter the pot to begin with, or are you going to fold to the raise?(best option) you can see why you should not limp [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img], right? besides why give the bb a FREE shot at beating you assuming they have a hand smaller than 77.

if you are going to raise-open you are hoping that the blinds will fold correct? so you are going to risk 2 bets to win 1.5 betsor less) with a substandard hand. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

what are you going to do if one of the blinds 3-bets you? (read comments on the option of limp-opening) finally, what if you call the reraise and improve to 777 if the bb bets out after the draw do you call or raise(if you say you cannot raise, then you should not have started with 77) IF you do raise what happens when the bb makes it 3 bets after the draw. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]get my point?!
Old 11-28-2005, 03:08 PM

With one limper, this is an easy fold. Lots of players will (incorrectly) limp in with pairs or even two pair and you don't want to face a possible raise from the blinds with 77.

If everyone folds to you in the button, I'd probably muck in a cash game unless both blinds were known to fold too much. Most players call too much rather than fold too much. In a tournament, I might try to steal blinds with this hand once the blinds are large enough, especially if the blinds are too tight. However, this is a very player-dependent situation and I'm not doing this against unknowns, tough players, or stubborn blind-defenders.

My experience is that blinds are generally much easier to steal in Planet Poker tournaments than in 24h tournaments. Good players will know you are expanding your raising range and will play back with less than usual and maniacs will play back (sometimes with a worse hand or just a draw) because that's what maniacs do.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If everyone folds to you in the button, I'd probably muck in a cash game unless both blinds were known to fold too much. Most players call too much rather than fold too much

[/ QUOTE ]

77 is my default button open raise - i've folded it but that isnt common - i normally think its plenty

its annoying when someone limps and you have a marginal hand that would of raised if folded to you - lots of guys like to open limp with 2 pairs and occasionally trips either because they are decent and trying to get paid post draw or because they have no clue or a combination of both - i would auto fold 77 on the button if someone limped before me - i would probably raise a poster though

stripsqueez - chickenhawk