Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: 3 vs 4
3 38 41.76%
4 53 58.24%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-2005, 05:03 PM

Default FF League Issue: You be the judge...

Here’s the story. It’s a bit long, but all the details are necessary and interesting.

I was out Sunday morning until around 1:10 eastern time. Got back home and realized that I hadn’t set my lineup. I noticed I had Brian Finneran (don’t ask) in my lineup despite having a bye. Although games had already started for the week, Yahoo’s system allowed me to pick up Tim Dwight, who was in the Sunday night game, and put him in my lineup over Finneran, who was idle.

Fast forward to Monday morning. I realize that I missed the fact that Vanderjagt also had a bye week. At 10 am I try to pick up Matt Stover, playing in the Monday night game, and put him in for Vanderjagt. Yahoo doesn’t let me. Why? For some reason, they have a cutoff of 11:59 PM Pacific time on Sunday night to pick up players for that week, (even though there are Monday night games). I have no idea why, especially since they let you replace guy all day Sunday if you want.

I send an email to the commish at 10 am asking him to see if he could make the switch for me. He says he tried to, but cannot.

Fast forward to this morning. I wake up and see that I lost (beated by Hines Ward and the Pittsburgh D last night) this week, but would have won if Stover was in my lineup. I look into Yahoo’s rules, and find out that it IS possible for a commish to make that type of switch like I asked Monday morning. I go to see the commish (we work in the same office) and ask him to make the switch. As he’s walking through the process of retroactively adding Stover and activating him for the week, he says he cannot do it because it doesn’t feel right. He will ask around to others in the league to see what they think of the move.

I can honestly see both sides of the situation. My side, I have clear evidence that I requested that Stover be put in yesterday morning, which the commish would have done if he had known how. The flip side, the rest of the league may be very upset at a completely retroactive move, and argue that I had an entire week to set my lineup and didn't.

So 2 questions:
Old 11-01-2005, 05:06 PM

Default Re: FF League Issue: You be the judge...

You missed your transaction deadline. YOu blew it.

Considering how late that deadline is, I don't think you've got much of a case.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:12 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

I don't understand your side at all. Just because Yahoo allows exceptions doesn't mean that your league has to do so. There are deadlines and everyone has to follow them. "I forgot" is not a good excuse.

If I'm commish, you're taking a loss.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:23 PM

I guess my side is that I'm ok with fantasy moves that are made without knowledge of results, regardless of times.

I'm co-commish of my baseball league where we have weekly HTH matchups. Sportsline's "deadline" to set the lineup is before the first game is played on Monday. If someone in my league has a spot where his players aren't going until Tuesday night, they post a message saying "Hey...can you switch out X for Y? Thanks!" and either myself or the other commish sees it, does it, and doesn't think twice.

And it's not something we ever really decided upon as a league...it just seemed like common sense. If no results are known, what's the big issue?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand your side at all. Just because Yahoo allows exceptions doesn't mean that your league has to do so. There are deadlines and everyone has to follow them. "I forgot" is not a good excuse.

If I'm commish, you're taking a loss.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-01-2005, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had an entire week to set my lineup and didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-01-2005, 05:34 PM

I am the commish of a league and have done similar things in the past. One owner was locked out of his room before 1pm and I let him make the change. After this we made clear rules for this situation, which helps the league out a lot. Also our situation is slightly different because our league isn't roto so it won't make a win loss type difference.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:38 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
I am the commish of a league and have done similar things in the past. One owner was locked out of his room before 1pm and I let him make the change. After this we made clear rules for this situation, which helps the league out a lot. Also our situation is slightly different because our league isn't roto so it won't make a win loss type difference.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, if there is a problem with the site or whatever before the deadline then of course the change should be made. If the owner notices that he messed up after the deadline has passed, to me that's his problem.

Then again, I'm known for being a dickhead commish.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:42 PM

Is no consideration given to the fact that the Yahoo deadline is completely arbitrary? And related to that, aren't commish powers in these online leagues specifically for those situations where the website's default rules can be reasonably bypassed?

P.S. If I'm asking questions like this, it's not to be combative or anything like that...just looking for additional input.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, if there is a problem with the site or whatever before the deadline then of course the change should be made. If the owner notices that he messed up after the deadline has passed, to me that's his problem.

Then again, I'm known for being a dickhead commish.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-01-2005, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is no consideration given to the fact that the Yahoo deadline is completely arbitrary? And related to that, aren't commish powers in these online leagues specifically for those situations where the website's default rules can be reasonably bypassed?

[/ QUOTE ]
No question that the deadline seems silly. But everyone has had to follow the same deadline all year long, so why would this situation ring any different? If there are extenuating circumstances, I can see making the exception. But if he relents in this situation, he opens it up to last second changes for late games every week. It is easier and more effective for the commish to simply say "no exceptions to this rule".

It would obviously be better if he had addressed the possible situation earlier, say in the constitution.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:06 PM

I dont get why you're so adament about having it changed when you had all week to find out who you wanted in your lineup and who was on a bye. You didnt care enough to take 5 minutes out of your day to find these things out, I dont see why it's so important to you now.