Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 10-06-2005, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Tough spot with an overpair (50-100). A possible squeeze play?

There are a lot more hands that beat you than hands you beat at this point. I think I fold to the turn raise. Obviously not an easy decision, but it sure looks to me that he gave you the provrebial "rope". I mean he did overcall a 4200 check-raise on the flop

I think if he had a draw he would just take the cheap draw you offered him, why push on a semi bluff when he has to assume you'll call considering the great odds from the pot
Old 10-06-2005, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are a lot more hands that beat you than hands you beat at this point. I think I fold to the turn raise. Obviously not an easy decision, but it sure looks to me that he gave you the provrebial "rope". I mean he did overcall a 4200 check-raise on the flop

I think if he had a draw he would just take the cheap draw you offered him, why push on a semi bluff when he has to assume you'll call considering the great odds from the pot

[/ QUOTE ]

bc he has a pair with his draw and thinks that this pair beats the all in player, but doesnt beat hero's overpair.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:45 PM

I have no business here but could the villian be doing this w/ 99-QQ?
Old 10-06-2005, 01:21 PM

You have to fold. Even if you are ahead. And i would have folded to the first push seeing that you were sandwiched.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And i would have folded to the first push seeing that you were sandwiched.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given what evanski told us, folding to that first push is really bad.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
do you think reraising that push is better than calling?
Old 10-06-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what im still trying to decide, but its so hard without knowing the opponent or the table dynamics well enough.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what im still trying to decide, but its so hard without knowing the opponent or the table dynamics well enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

I may be wrong here, but hopefully someone will correct me.

The turn line itself can certainly be questioned, I think against someone aggro betting small like this and calling a push can definitely be +EV, I saw others suggesting check, others suggesting bet/call. Whatever the line, if we do assume that evanski is fine getting all in on the turn then I think that if we look back at the flop you have to raise because it prevents villain from getting a cheap look at the turn when there are so many hands here that could have pretty decent equity. It also might look more like an isolation move with 88-TT and if villain does have something like NFD he might be enticed to push.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I may be wrong here, but hopefully someone will correct me.

The turn line itself can certainly be questioned, I think against someone aggro betting small like this and calling a push can definitely be +EV, I saw others suggesting check, others suggesting bet/call. Whatever the line, if we do assume that evanski is fine getting all in on the turn then I think that if we look back at the flop you have to raise because it prevents villain from getting a cheap look at the turn when there are so many hands here that could have pretty decent equity. It also might look more like an isolation move with 88-TT and if villain does have something like NFD he might be enticed to push.

[/ QUOTE ]

good post.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:32 PM

Default Results

So, Ive spent the last couple days trying to figure out a better way to play this. The best I could come up with is that I have to be content to play a big pot with one pair here, and whats the best line to maximize the chance that my money goes in. On the flop, I think smoothcalling is best. Sure, it lets him come in behind me, and there are a lot of turn cards that Im not going to like, but what are the alternatives? Folding sucks, since Im almost always ahead of the BB and most of the time the button is going to get out of the way anyways. Any raise would basically be allin. This has some merits since it forces the button out with a draw (or at least makes him put his stack in), but I dont think I like it. It allows him to play his hand perfectly. Im basically saying "I sure hope you didnt flop a set/straight. If you did, heres 200BB's" I really dont think hes going to call with any non-drwaing hand that I beat. So I think calling is best.

As for the turn, well, I dont know. I think I like betting, since he might be on a flush draw and I dont want to give him a free shot at the river. Betting more than I did/pushing is nice in that I dont have a sticky river situation. However, by betting a lot it makes it impossible for him to make a play at the pot, and I reduce his holdings only to draws and hands that beat me. So, I actually think that betting 3500 was pretty good, as long as Im willing to check fold getting really good odds on the river if a heart hits, since I think the chances of him waiting until the river to push me off my hand are pretty minimal. (basically what flynn and diablo said)

Anyways, after he pushed I ran most of my time down and finally called, hoping that he had ahjh or something like that and was trying to squeeze me. The river was an inconsequential 2d. The BB flipped over A6o. The button flipped 88, and mhwg. My hats off to the button though, I think he played this hand absolutely excellently, and almost managed to scoop a 21k pot. If I were him I wouldnt have even thought of attempting it.

-Evan