Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which one?
A hot asian chick with big boobs 20 71.43%
A funny pic of a rapper I used to listen to 8 28.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-21-2005, 08:59 PM

Default Re: Baseball Rules Question: You make the call

This happened in an Angels game this year, and it was judged according to this rule. The batter was out, and the runner returned to first. I had never seen this rule enforced before.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How does that change the situation? The Yankee middle infielder which was under the ball (I forget whether it was cano or jeter) was shaping under the ball like they would catch it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because in the example from my game it was an intentionally dropped ball. Rule 6.05 (L) deals specifically with this situation.

In my game, the ump incorrectly called this a double play. The correct ruling should have been batter out, dead ball, runner returns to first.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know that you played Major League Baseball
Old 09-21-2005, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Because in the example from my game it was an intentionally dropped ball. Rule 6.05 (L) deals specifically with this situation.

In my game, the ump incorrectly called this a double play. The correct ruling should have been batter out, dead ball, runner returns to first.

[/ QUOTE ]

The word intentional makes this a judgement call for the umpire. I wouldn't count on the call being overturned by league officials.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. A few years ago, I was playing shortstop. A runner was on first and the batter hit a not-really-hard line drive up the middle. The ball "somehow" bounced out of the pocket of my glove, and I was able to pick it up, step on 2nd, and throw out the runner at first.

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2005, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

Quote:

The word intentional makes this a judgement call for the umpire. I wouldn't count on the call being overturned by league officials.

Exactly. A few years ago, I was playing shortstop. A runner was on first and the batter hit a not-really-hard line drive up the middle. The ball "somehow" bounced out of the pocket of my glove, and I was able to pick it up, step on 2nd, and throw out the runner at first.

[/ QUOTE ]

BINGO!! This is the reason for the rule and automatic out! Batter out - dead ball when a fielder intentially drops the ball to start a double play. I called this several times over more than ten years of umpiring.

Thank you

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2005, 11:17 PM

the answer is the 2nd answer,
on a side note, you cannot protest this call as it is a "judgement call" made by the umpire whether or not he "intentionally dropped the ball or not"
Old 09-22-2005, 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This happened in an Angels game this year, and it was judged according to this rule. The batter was out, and the runner returned to first. I had never seen this rule enforced before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes this happened againist the A's. It was the only time I ever saw it as well. The umpire deemed the fielder dropped the ball on purpose. If there is a clear reason the ball is dropped (lost in the lights/sun) then the play would stand. According to the Angels game, the umpire can make a judgement call and just declare the batter out.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:57 AM

I was on the team in the field. The UIC (home plate) allowed the 2B ump to make the call. Following the play (and the resultant shouting), an alert member of the other team approached the UIC to protest the call. The rest of the game was played under protest.

I play in the MABL, but we use MLB rules (wood bats, etc.). We ended up losing the game, so the protest was dropped.

As for intent, it was obvious the second baseman deliberately dropped the ball. The UIC and the 3B ump both agreed. Between innings, they said they could not overrule the 2B ump because he did not ask for assistance.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We ended up losing the game, so the protest was
dropped.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?
Old 09-22-2005, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We ended up losing the game, so the protest was
dropped.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

youre not the brightest crayon in the box, are you?
Old 09-22-2005, 11:49 AM

I didnt bother to read all this, but unless you want to refer to rule 6.05, this is a double play. I think it has to be blatantly intentional to call it a dead ball. I think its only "routine" if you touch it. Then again you wouldnt want to let a fly ball drop because who knows how fuggin high it would end up bouncing

I used to do this all the time in high school, mostly with line drives. My senior year they actually enforced the rules because I had been doing this so much and it had been catching on in our district. Intentionally booting a routine play became a dead ball (what a load of horseshit) batter out, runner back to first... routine popup, maybe, line drive??? not routine enough to call it.

In any case you dont lose anything by trying it at 2nd or short with a line drive, just deaden it with your glove and turn that biotch