FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which one?
A hot asian chick with big boobs 20 71.43%
A funny pic of a rapper I used to listen to 8 28.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-21-2005, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Baseball Rules Question: You make the call

[ QUOTE ]
How does that change the situation? The Yankee middle infielder which was under the ball (I forget whether it was cano or jeter) was shaping under the ball like they would catch it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because in the example from my game it was an intentionally dropped ball. Rule 6.05 (L) deals specifically with this situation.

In my game, the ump incorrectly called this a double play. The correct ruling should have been batter out, dead ball, runner returns to first.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't really see that theres that much advantage for the fielding team to do this if there is only one runner on, as long as the batter jogs the 90 feet to first.

[/ QUOTE ]

the advantage is not in the double play, it's the fact that the lead runner was on. as in the sox-nyy game, it was a pinch-runner, so the sox lost a player for that game.

question, if the runner is taging, and the IFR is not called, why can't the fielders throw to first, tagging the runner BEFORE stepping on the bag for the DP? the runner is forced out of first?
Old 09-21-2005, 02:53 PM

Hey guys I do a fair amount of umpiring and KilgoreTrout has got it right (at least for MLB rules). The IFR does not apply because there are not two runners on. A Fielder cannot intentionally drop a ball to start a double play. Normally this rule isn’t enforced, but because the fielder blatantly broke the rule (because he touched it) it must be called. Had he let the ball drop most umpires would let it go.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:27 PM

I voted batter out, runner returns to first...I would've voted double play up to a few weeks ago, but the Giants suck so badly that this very topic has come up during the broadcast multiple times.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There were umpires there. They made an incorrect call and the remainder of the game was played under protest.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the batter would just run out the play like he's supposed to, there wouldn't be a problem.

I had never haerd of the rule dealing with an intentionally dropped ball before, but it is a dumb rule that should be abolished. If a base runner is to dumb/lazy to run, then he deserves a double play.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The umps need to call the infield fly rule for it to be in effect. If it is in effect, the runner from first is responsibly for himself, and the batter was out before the ball comes down. Situations like this are the reason the rule was invented.

If the infield fly wasn't called, it's a double play. An incredibly cheesy one, but a DP nonetheless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't there have to be runners on first and second to have IFR?
Old 09-21-2005, 06:40 PM

Most people got this right.

Runners have to be on 1st and 2nd or bases loaded for the infield fly rule to take in affect. It pretty much penalizes the batter for not running it out in this situation.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
are there umpires? if there are and they didnt call the infield fly rule, theyre both out. theres no excuse for the batter not to go to first.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am an umpire and by rule and infield fly occurs with runners on first and second, or the bases loaded and less than two outs. This is a fine play because the rulebook assumes the batter will hustle. This happened in a Marlins Mets game earlier this year. Beltran hit a fly ball Delgado intentionally dropped it, and he threw to second and then back to first. 363 double play.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:56 PM

Example of the Yankees game is a DP. Nobody touched the ball. If the 2b caught the ball then dropped it in front of him, then the batter is out and the runner returns to first. The judgment call is whether the 2B pretended to catch the ball to fool the batter and to get a cheap DP. Because the batter is a moron; I would probably call the DP, however, exactly what the 2B did (how he dropped the ball) is the important point.

If the ball was never touched, i.e. Yankee game, then is it a DP without question.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because in the example from my game it was an intentionally dropped ball. Rule 6.05 (L) deals specifically with this situation.

In my game, the ump incorrectly called this a double play. The correct ruling should have been batter out, dead ball, runner returns to first.

[/ QUOTE ]

The word intentional makes this a judgement call for the umpire. I wouldn't count on the call being overturned by league officials.