Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 03:27 AM

Default Re: 2+2 tables and dishonesty...

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2005, 09:16 AM

dude. what are you talking about?
Old 07-20-2005, 09:36 AM

I'd like to get a 2+2 TAG table together someday and actually try to play against each other. I've only taken part in one LAGfest and the only notable thing was me and Chris Daddy Cool capping it clear to the river with 4s full of Jacks (me) and 6s (him) to be beaten by 4 fours. I wouldn't mind playing in a 'real game' once.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:04 PM

Default You\'re Welcome. (NM)

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2005, 05:19 PM

Default A couple of thoughts on re: the 2+2 tables

I am used to playing with a bankroll that a night of loosing my shirt at .5/1 will hardly make a dent. I'm not trying to dis anyone here, but if you are in a monetary situation where you can't afford this fiscally or emotionally, then it's probably wise to aviod Party tables where you are not playing "for real." Back when I barely had a .5/1 roll, and certainly when I was still at the nanos, I wanted to play the 2+2 game, but knew I did not have the roll.

Nothing can have you bleeding chips more than LAGing it up. This is independent of whether other players are LAGing too. I do have a constructive suggestion: Pokerstars nanolimit games.

Personally, I think it's fun to bring your A game to a type of poker you are not as familar with -- Omaha Hi-lo, 7Cs 8 or better split, the weirder the better.

The idea that the 2+2 table has to be "LAG" is not true IMO. Sometimes I Lag it up there, but other times I bring my A game. I personally think it's fun to play real poker too against good players, and it's certainly good practice. Occassionally I remember former micro posters moving up to 10/20 or 15/30 and celebrating by saying "come take my money -- I'm drunk" at a .5/1 table. And we would.

Okay, that's it I guess for now. Have a nice day.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:38 PM

Well, I apologize that your 2+2 table experience was not all you had dreamed it to be, but there was discussion of playing seriously in that very thread. Traditionally, the lagfests are at public tables. I asked if this was serious, and Nfinity said so, so I went with it. Even at serious 2+2 tables, there is a fair amount of lagging to exploit people who were folding too much. I had figured you just took this idea too far.

If you're not comfortable with dropping a bunch of money lagging it up, don't do it. It was pretty obvious to anyone paying attention that the table consisted of 2-3 uberlags, 2-3 ubertags, and the rest were people in between trying to capitalize on the lags and make the tags fold. You even stated this yourself. Rather than complain at us for not lagging, either adjust your own play, or accept that you're going to lose money. I can't sympathize with anyone who drops 30 BB, complains at the table for playing too well, and then drops another 30 BB playing just as maniacally as before.

Personally, you ended up taking more money from me than I ended up taking from you. Nfinity is the one I've taken the most money from at any 2+2 table. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

2+2 tables are supposed to be fun. Play at them if it's fun for you. If you're not having fun because others aren't lagging it up, call it a night rather than complaining about it. If you're overly worried about your EV, play at a regular table. Hopefully we can play together again sometime, and it'll be fun for both of us.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: A couple of thoughts on re: the 2+2 tables

People used to at least pretend that it was a chance to practice playing in tough games against thinking opponents, and the inclusion of solid SSers who were willing to talk about hands/mistakes seemed like a big plus. I'm not sure how often they lived up to this, however, as I could never afford to play (or was just flat-out too scared).

Nothing wrong with blowing off steam, but (rightly or wrongly) the idea of the weekly 2+2 game used to be enough to inspire me to improve my game to the point where I'd be comfortable sitting in. Then again, I used to go out of my way to avoid all the scary multi-tabling .5/1 sharks, so it might just have been a function of ignorance + romanticism. (And no, that's not a shot at you micros. I'm sure there are many of you who play much better than I do. It's just interesting how much perception plays into things.).
Old 07-20-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're not comfortable with dropping a bunch of money lagging it up, don't do it. It was pretty obvious to anyone paying attention that the table consisted of 2-3 uberlags, 2-3 ubertags, and the rest were people in between trying to capitalize on the lags and make the tags fold. You even stated this yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

well said.

i WAS trying to play my A game -and- have fun. was i an uberlag?

i'm sorry i said i was ed miller but you must know by now that people lie in the chat box.

actually i'm not really sorry.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Re: A couple of thoughts on re: the 2+2 tables

[ QUOTE ]
People used to at least pretend that it was a chance to practice playing in tough games against thinking opponents, and the inclusion of solid SSers who were willing to talk about hands/mistakes seemed like a big plus. I'm not sure how often they lived up to this, however, as I could never afford to play (or was just flat-out too scared).

Nothing wrong with blowing off steam, but (rightly or wrongly) the idea of the weekly 2+2 game used to be enough to inspire me to improve my game to the point where I'd be comfortable sitting in. Then again, I used to go out of my way to avoid all the scary multi-tabling .5/1 sharks, so it might just have been a function of ignorance + romanticism. (And no, that's not a shot at you micros. I'm sure there are many of you who play much better than I do. It's just interesting how much perception plays into things.).

[/ QUOTE ]

me too. i used to be scared crapless about playing against 2+2ers. and i wanted to keep my identity hidden. that seems like a long time ago.

i think the games (the private serious ones) have degraded a bit. the hand commentary is a good thing. i'd like to go back to that. when i swallowed my fear and jumped in, i happened to play on a set of tables. grunchcan, shillx, einbert, entity, droolie...a bunch of others. i learned a lot. the tables weren't about capping all streets, not that it didn't happen sometimes or that that is a bad thing.