Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 02-12-2005, 06:11 PM

Default Extremely Successful Player Raises EVERY hand...

There is an extremely successful player (higher limits), that raises every single hand he plays. He rarely limps, maybe once every 5000 hands, but that is it.

He is not Tight Aggressive, he raises a lot of marginal hands, even early.

He is one of the most successful players at the medium to high limits on this particular site.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Old 02-12-2005, 09:40 PM

Default Re: Extremely Successful Player Raises EVERY hand...

[ QUOTE ]
There is an extremely successful player (higher limits), that raises every single hand he plays. He rarely limps, maybe once every 5000 hands, but that is it.

He is not Tight Aggressive, he raises a lot of marginal hands, even early.

He is one of the most successful players at the medium to high limits on this particular site.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know? Seriously, have you watched him for several hundred hands? 1 in 5000 limps? That would imply this successful player is either you or someone you've followed for months.

I don't play high stakes, but I'd assume the other players would get wise to his play pretty quickly, and punish him with their premium hands when he raises with mediocre hands.

I know aggression is good, but aggression 100% of the time just gets you picked off by the rest of the table...

Regards,
Francis
Old 02-12-2005, 10:09 PM

I've seen guys online that only have a raise button. Every decision to them is RAISE. After about 2 orbits everybody figures it out and then it takes about 20-30 minutes to collect their buy-in.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:01 AM

if its shorthanded limping is almost always wrong
Old 02-13-2005, 03:19 AM

It is very likely that a highly successful player at the high limits would appear to have this strategy.
Old 02-13-2005, 06:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is very likely that a highly successful player at the high limits would appear to have this strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

how so?
Old 02-13-2005, 11:11 AM

Francis,

Ha, ha. If it was me do you think I would bring up the topic? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I have played 8,360 hands with him in the past 2-3 months. He has limped twice, hence about once every 5,000 times. You can't assume those two limps were any type of strategy, I think he was just messing around.

Francis & TALLBrad,

Regarding your comments about raising every hand, I am sorry, I did not mean he raised every hand, I said he raised every hand he played, big difference.

However, his VPIP is 40%. For someone raising every hand they play this is incredible in my opinion, because you know they have to be raising quite a bit or trash hands to get to 40%.

Regarding a couple of comments about getting run over, again, this guy is easily one of the most successful players. If I sort my history by amount won or BB/100 he is always in the top 5 for both. There are many tight players that can get in the top 5 for money won, but their BB/100 is pretty low. This guy is right at the top for both.

TStoneMBD,

Yes, he has an affinity for short handed play and is extremely successful at it, but I don't like short handed as much so my data is primarily with 7-10 players. However, if we are playing at a full table and there is a shorter table, he will leave and go to the short table. Several times the table fills up and I switch over to it for one reason or another and as a rule he has won quite a bit. I would hate to see his winning and BB/100 for short handed...

ThePinkBunny

Can you elaborate? I am tight aggressive and raise about 75% of the time, but my VPIP is only 17%-18%, so it is not hard to do. But for someone with a VPIP of 40% I just can't figure it out.

If I had to take a stab at it I would say two things. First, because it is high limit, he has a greater fold equity, so his strategy is more successful than at a lower limit where he would get more callers and get drawn out. Second, I think even though it is online, he plays the player as much as his cards. In other words, I think he is comfortable raising Qxs on the button and trying to bluff a single opponent off the pot based on their actions.

Thoughts or comments?

Cheers
Old 02-13-2005, 11:17 AM

Hi,

Your correct about your assumptions. Im not a fixed limit holdem, but friend of play the ladbrokes 200/400 and 300/600 fixed limit tables there(max 6ppl) and usually couple of them. He has pretty close to those numbers.. And actually there is couple other very good players who play that way. The worst part in that style it increases swings much. Like you can lose 50bb in couple of hours.

And the biggest thing when playing that style is to read your opponents very good.

Peace.

-Johan
Old 02-13-2005, 11:46 AM

Sorry I didn't specify, this is No Limit.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:06 PM

Ok then it makes even more sense, i play myself PL omaha(max 40/80) and NL holdem and in 6handed game my numbers are close to that.