Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2004, 07:47 AM

Default Small overpair big pot. 5-10NL

5-10 NL on UB. I raise with 99 in MP to 45 after one limper. 4 callers, including the limper. Flop is 542, two spades. Checked to me, I bet 120. Next player raises all in for 320. Limper check raises all in to 650. I call. Comments?

-Evan
Old 12-16-2004, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Small overpair big pot. 5-10NL

Too many hands beat you here, what would someone raise all in with (he knows you are probably going to call) and then when someone goes over the top you are seeing serious stregnth.

Did you try to put you opponents on hands at all?

Do you have any reads?

I wouldnt be supprised if you were against any combination of a set, the wheel, a bigger overpair (probably JJ or QQ,) A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] but I am pretty confident that you were beat.

I wouldn't even call this all in if I had JJ, would be in a tough decission with QQ but would most likely call and regret it (a leak in my game)
Old 12-16-2004, 11:29 AM

two people getting all-in in front of me is enough to make me reconsider the strength getting my money in. i think you're drawing to 2 outs (maybe 1 if you don't have the 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])
Old 12-16-2004, 11:55 AM

If my math is correct, you are getting slightly better than 2 to 1 on your call. I agree that the original raiser might have a wide variety of hands. I'm not too worried here about the wheel, but the reraise really feels like a set to me (at least 50% of the time).

What did you put the reraiser on? 66, maybe. Even if he doesn't have a set, I would still be worried about him playing JJ or QQ up front for set value.

Looks like 2 outs to me.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:17 PM

I can't see myself ever calling this. What did you think the two all-in players had? With just one, you have a tough decision as he could have a wheel, a set, a bigger overpair, two small pair (less likely but possible), or two big spades (you are a dog to all of these, though not always by much). When somebody check/raises all-in over the top of another all-in with the preflop raiser having made a largish bet in the middle, I'd be pretty darn sure he can beat 99.

If these guys are particularly tricky or maniacal, its a tougher decision but, as you didn't say that in the original post, this is a clear fold in my opinion.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:19 PM

You have to fold that after the all the 2nd allin. If he folded you calling just the 1st players allin is barely profitable. The way it is I can't see you having more than 2 outs. I fold every overpair here except for possibly AA.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:49 PM

Well, I have to say that some of the replies dont make sense to me. A couple of you insinuate that I should make the call with KK or AA. How is that any different than 99? Will one of these players have TT-QQ often enough to really make an EV difference? Furthermore, that seems like a horrible way to play them, as almost all of the time youll only be called by someone who beats you. My point of view was this. The short stack who went all in was a pretty fishy player. I was planning on calling if it got folded back around to me. I dont think Id get too much disgreement with that. So all I have to worry about is the check raiser. Now why would he push all in like that? I know some players are capable of doing the "I have a set but want to make it look like I dont want a call all in", but I definitely didnt think this was one of those. IF he had a set I was almost positive he would have smoothcalled and tried to slowplay. So I put him on a spade draw, or a combo draw. And since I was going to call the first guy anyways, this just added pot equity. Comments?
Old 12-16-2004, 07:12 PM

smoothcalling is the same thing as going allin here, calling 1/2 your stack on the flop guarantees the rest is going in on the turn. Theres no slowplaying once you have a big raise allin. Raising an allin on a draw here doesn't do him much good. If hes on a big draw, he wants you to call since hes probably behind to the raiser anyway and needs more money in the pot to make going in correct. The only way a draw should be in this pot after the allin is if he has immediate pot odds, which he doesn't unless he has some huge combo draw.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:51 PM

Well reading your posts Evan I think 2 things.....

1) You won the hand and are looking for people to congratulate u on how great u play.

However,,,

2) Your post flop play was trash. I would have folded this hand every day and twice on sunday. This is an easy fold IMO. If u cant make this fold ,,drop down limits. Bottom line u misplayed the hand and got extremely lucky from what your implying.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:28 AM

You think he would smooth-call with a set? Calling a raise and an all-in re-raise for half your stack, that sure as hell ain't my definition of a smooth-call. By the way you related it, he pushed for 300 more, so with only 300 behind calling half your stack on a raise and a re-raise all-in is hardly a smooth-call. It's the most bizarre thing he could do.

If he pushes, however, he could have a very definite read on the short-stack and want to isolate with a hand he knows is winning, like AK or AQ, assuming it beats the short-stack. That could sucker you into calling. But judging from the consistency of your post and the replies, that didn't happen, and he did in fact have a very definite read on the shortstack and did want to isolate with a strong Ace high hand.

Regardless of the outcome, you should fold. Too many ways you're beat.