Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2004, 06:12 PM

Default Overpair on a one suit flop

I really didn´t know how to play this hand, so here it is.

I had only played 5-6 hands here, so not many reads other than that UTG+1 seemed to be very LAG.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, Button calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP2 folds, Button calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (8 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Button folds, Hero calls.

River: (10 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB
Old 08-10-2004, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Overpair on a one suit flop

I would bet the turn and switch to calldown mode if raised again. You don't want to risk giving a free card to a bigger spade.

Lost Wages
Old 08-10-2004, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would bet the turn and switch to calldown mode if raised again. You don't want to risk giving a free card to a bigger spade.

Lost Wages

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes sense. I was thinking about betting the turn, but I just reverted to calling as I often do when I´m not sure what to do.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:52 PM

you should resort to folding, rather than calling... it's better in the long run...

it's been said before, it's been said again, it's almost always better to raise, or fold, than it is to call...

and likewise better to bet when you plan on check/calling...
Old 08-10-2004, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you should resort to folding, rather than calling... it's better in the long run...

it's been said before, it's been said again, it's almost always better to raise, or fold, than it is to call...

and likewise better to bet when you plan on check/calling...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I know, but I still catch myself doing it from time to time when I´m not sure what to do. I´ve decided to try to plug this hole by being more active here and posting hands I´m unsure about.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Lost Wages

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes sense. I was thinking about betting the turn, but I just reverted to calling as I often do when I´m not sure what to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another good reason to bet the turn is to force button to call two cold if LAG raises again.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:34 PM

I think you should 3-bet the flop and then lead on the turn if he calls. Even if he caps I would lead the turn unless he is a superduperweakie. If raised on the turn I am inclined to call down at this point. The 8 on the river is really the bad card for you to see but the pot is quite large at this point and the info is worth it to see what he has at this point.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:40 PM

Folding is absolutely terrible unless you are playing against a tight old man with his pants pulled to his chin. Take off your skirt, put on some jeans and play some fvking poker. Do you honestly think that every time you are raised on a monotone flop he has the flush. Gimme a break. Would A-8 not raise. If I had the As I would raise as the pot equity is high enough. And you have the 10s so if your opp has a baby flush you could still win.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:22 PM

I think raising the flop is ugly. This is a clear reverse implied odds situation. Think of all the bad cards that can come on the turn to ruin your hand vs all these players. I would rather wait one card and see how your hand turns out.

This is not the same as the popular "wait until the turn to protect your hand" move. In this situation, you simply are not a big favorite, even with an overpair, against a wide field with two cards to come. Raising the flop does not help change that much at all. Therefore, raising the flop is purely to claim equity, but your hand is a small favorite at best. However, if you get yourself a nice card on the turn, with only one redraw that could ruin you, you are sitting on a nice hand.

More interesting would be if you held A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on this flop. Raise?
Old 08-10-2004, 10:36 PM

if you had position you could wait till the turn to see how the board develops. but you dont. 3-bet the flop and lead the turn.