Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2005, 07:50 AM

Default I Make a Fishy Checkraise

UTG seems tight. Button seems to play too many hands, makes loose calls postflop, aggr. with position.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, Button checks.

Turn: (5 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>...

The good: Its unlikely Button has a straight and checkraising will knock out a better hand if my hand is not the best.

The bad: My play smells kinda fishy. Opponent may make a loose calldown with a pair.

Good or bad?

Edit: Preflop is yawn for me. Sure I can cap it, but I didn't because it may make it easier to play postflop. Then again my hand is sooted. Whatever.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:03 AM

Default Re: I Make a Fishy Checkraise

That's a 1/3 pot investment and it's likely to require a river follow up bet A LOT to take the pot making it a roughly 1/2 pot investment.

You need to fold (or have) a better/equal hand &gt;50%. This may be possible considering the pot is small (and UTG being tight) but on the double flush draw board it seems a lot less likely to be +EV.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Button....makes loose calls postflop, aggr. with position.

The good: Its unlikely Button has a straight and checkraising will knock out a better hand if my hand is not the best.

Good or bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we can all agree on bad here, the C/R here MIGHT be good against one of those players who is capable of throwing away a better hand but your own read says this definately is not the case.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:41 PM

True the pot is crappily small, but Villain will have a hard time calling my checkraise with just a pair here. I think I have some decent fold equity when I checkraise.

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, Button checks.

Turn: (5 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, Button calls.

River: (9 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Button has As Qc (high card, ace).
Hero has Ac Kc (high card, ace).
Outcome: Hero wins 11 BB. </font>

Yes my river bet sucked.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:23 PM

This is not a fishy checkraise at all. While you shouldn't attempt it often, it should definitely be part of your repertoire and this looks like the perfect spot to use it in. In fact, your hand is either good or chopping a pretty large percentage of the time here.

After it got checked through on the flop, UTG+1 did not bet the turn. So he probably doesn't have a made hand. Button didn't bet the flop, which he would certainly have done with a made hand or even a gutshot draw, given your read. So I would say that pretty damn often you have the best ace high. Since your read is that Button will call down with weak hands and it appears that he doesn't have a weak made hand here, I like the c/r even better.

Regarding your river bet, you pretty much commit yourself to it after the turn c/r. If he folds a worse ace then it still has a bit of value in hiding the move you just made from the rest of the table; if he calls with a made hand (or rivered 3-outer) he would've bet it if you'd checked, and you probably would've called with the pot so big &amp; the opponent so aggro.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:32 PM

I actually thought check and inducing a bluff would be better than betting and getting called by what would seem like only better hands. Villain won't call the river with a busted draw, but he will call the river with as little as a pair. After all he did call my turn raise. I really don't see too much value in betting the river unless villain will call with a weaker ace. The reason I bet the river was because I was sort of on tilt. Heres a hand we played before.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, SB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8 BB

Afterwards he typed out, "smart laydown, tabasco...u saved $$...ty". He's been making comments like these to everyone.

After my hand were I said, "You should've laid down, could have saved some $$". Damn that felt good.