Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2005, 04:43 PM

Default Re: JJ On The River On Not Such a Great Board

Normally I'd say bet, especially against the typical calling station. But if this player is a little tricky and he regards you as a pretty straifgtforward tight player I think a check is better. If he was just planning to call down a small pair because he thought there's a good chance you're playing big cards he'd probably fold a river bet (how could you have missed with two big cards?).
I'd say you lose less if he has a flush, aces, kings or a slowplayed big hand and checkraises/calls you than you win if he has a small pair and calls you. And there's of course a slim chance that he will try to bluff you or bet with a weaker hand (value betting a small pair) when you check. So I'd say check/call river. Other streets are fine.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:00 PM

Seems like most people plike checking. Checking lets us showdown for one bet (if we want to showdown) and induces a bluff.

Villain shows ATo and MHING. Didn't expect to see that one.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:16 AM

I like your play, and I think it's standard. He has one low pair here a lot more than he has a hand that he can bluff with.

Will
Old 12-23-2005, 12:44 AM

In my opinion, there is not a lot you can beat right now so I would slow down. The flush has hit, the two over cards that someone would call a raise with and call a flop with have hit. You can only beat, in my eyes, a straight draw (which he probably wouldnt have called the preflop raise with or pair lower than yours- 99, 10 10. However, if he is aggressive post-flop he most likely would have raised with an all undercard flop. I would check-call the river, because your only subjecting yourself to a raise if he did catch an overcard/flush draw or was slow rolling you with a set.