Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-22-2005, 09:46 PM

Default Re: You\'re Not Going to Like This One

Don't go crazy on a maniac. This way you'll be the maniac in the game. You can loosen up a bit by raising mid or low pairs an good draws. Just be patient and wait for a good hand and bust him.
Here i would raise the flop and call down. Then i would thuse the check fold on the flop if you don't hit and a check raise if you hit.

Greets, Surf
Old 12-22-2005, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This may warrant a preflop cold call. I understand the desire to isolate, but oop you really need to improve against this guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the 3-bet PF is a must unless the BB will call 2 cold anyways most of the time. It is a pretty bad mistake to give him 5:1 on his money, as he is correct to call with most holdings. You really want him out of there.

It has been discussed at length before, that cold-calling a raise as the 2nd player in from the SB is almost always wrong.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It has been discussed at length before, that cold-calling a raise as the 2nd player in from the SB is almost always wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be consistent with my advice, because, I am almost always wrong. But the key word is 'almost'. I'm not so worried about the bb calling here since 1) hero needs to improve anyways and 2) should Hero improve, he can easily cr the PFR'ing LAG to cut down the bb's odds.

3 betting looses us more money when we fall behind post flop and it doesn't win us any extra money when we improve. It does, however, win us more money when with see a SD with the best hand, King high.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be consistent with my advice, because, I am almost always wrong. But the key word is 'almost'. I'm not so worried about the bb calling here since 1) hero needs to improve anyways and 2) should Hero improve, he can easily cr the PFR'ing LAG to cut down the bb's odds.

3 betting looses us more money when we fall behind post flop and it doesn't win us any extra money when we improve. It does, however, win us more money when with see a SD with the best hand, King high.

[/ QUOTE ]

KJo UI has a FAR greater chance of winning a HU pot than a multiway pot.

Say you don't 3-bet and CC instead and BB comes along (which he will do a large portion of the time). The flop then misses you. You are now in a very tough spot. The maniac is going to bet or raise whether it hit him or not. When the action comes back around to you, what is your plan now? We don't really want to give up and fold, as we could very well be ahead here. Also, the PF cold-call would be really dumb if we are going to invest 1.5 bets into a 5 (often 6) bet pot only to fold the 2/3 of the time we miss the flop. We don't want to just call c/c if we are behind, we don't have odds to draw, and we would also allow BB to see the turn cheaply and hit if we are ahead as well. Check-raising the flop when you miss seems bad as well - perhaps BB hit top or mid pair, and really likely won't fold that ever. You might as well have 3-bet PF, and got BB out of there to begin with to avoid this scenario.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:17 AM

Villain is maniacal, but he'll lay down if its painfully clear he's beaten. Still he's not going to make it cheap to get to showdown. Still I wanted to 3-bet because KJ is so far ahead of his range.

5000 posts wewt!