Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2005, 10:55 PM

Default Villain Makes a Fishy Play

Villain is 61/24.59/1.67 over 60 hands. These stats are misleading. He's not that crazy preflop (he'll raise QJo+, 99+) and his aggr. numbers are high because he hit a lot of flops. He does however play way too many hands and calls a lot. Sometimes he'll play really weird postflop. One hand he checked two pair to villain on the turn and river.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.40 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: (3.70 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>...

Okay what the hell? First of all why the hell did he check the flop? Was he slowplaying? Did he miss? Well I'm getting like 4.85:1 on a calldown plus I can improve.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:00 PM

Default Re: Villain Makes a Fishy Play

Call down. He could have all kinds of hands, although I assume he has something pretty decent. Is this the first time you've seen him 3-bet pf?
Old 12-17-2005, 11:10 PM

Its the first time I've seen him 3-bet preflop. For some reason his flop check screams two pair or broadway.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:13 PM

I often find myself in this situation and I'm never good here.
If he has something (not JT), but 2 pair/set, the flop check is really awful. However bad players make bad moves.
It sucks to call down in this rather small pot and see his AK or KQs.
You have outs to improve so if want to SD just check-call turn (now even 99 beats you badly).
If he's on 88 or TT he's drawing very thin anyways.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:53 AM

Meh, I think you might be ok here. Guys like this sometimes make stupid 3-bets, you might appear to be maniac to him if you've been running pretty well pf and he's deciding to play back a bit thinking you're running over the table. I'd call down and see what's up...
Old 12-18-2005, 02:46 AM

After reviewing this hand after my session it seems a call down is in order. I sort of made a tilt fold since I was getting pounded left and right. God this game is brutal.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:14 AM

I wonder if you can call the turn and C/F the river UI.