Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 09-25-2002, 06:29 AM

Default Playing AA against three blind hands

Tight/passive table. Usually, there are three seeing the flop for two bets. A new player with a short stack just sat down (full table) next to me and posts.

I get AA in middle position.

Two folds and Tight-Passive (TP) calls, New Player (NP) checks, I raise, folded to the blinds who call, TP, NP call. Five to the flop for 5 big bets.

Flop: 5,6,9 rainbow

SB (tight passive) checks, BB (good player) bets, TP, NP call, I raise, SB cold calls, BB re-raises, TP folds, NP cold calls, I re-raise (cap), SB cold calls again, BB, NP call.

Four players to the turn for about 12 big bets.

Turn: 8 completes rainbow, board is 5,6,9,8

SB checks, BB bets, NP calls with a couple chips left, I fold(?), SB folds.

Two to the river for about 14 big bets:

River: A final board is 5,6,9,8,A

BB checks, NP goes all in, BB calls.

Results follow--comments appreciated.
Old 09-25-2002, 06:33 AM

Default Re: Playing AA against three blind hands

BB shows two pair (6s9s), NP shows 8xs for a pair of 8s. BB wins about 16 big bets. You should have known I folded the winner or there’s no way I remember this hand this well.
Old 09-25-2002, 08:09 AM

Go backwards, don't worry about the Ace falling on the river. Go to the flop play. Think about it.....the BB leads out and you raise now it's back to him and he reraises. I think you should just call and see what the turn brings, reraising can't be good in this spot. As soon as he bets the turn, my hand is in the muck.

-Think about how many times someone leads into you and reraises your raise, he must obviously think you have a large pocket pair, now he flopped top two pair.

-Think of this, think of how many times someone is making a move in this spot with a single 7, with a single 8, with top pair. Unless he is a maniac then you can call down, but with typical players (novices) low-limit players will not reraise flush draws on the flop, will not reraise top pair top kicker.

-Put it this way, in Low-Limit when someone bets they have a hand or they have a draw a big draw, very rarely do they make moves and raise and reraise with top pair on this type of flop.

-As he fires out on the turn.....muck.

Don't be results oriented because you saw that Ace come on the river and don't forget if an 8 or a 5 comes on the river you probably win just the same but you subract from that the chance that one of your other opponnents has an 8 or a 5, in that case giving them trips.

-Your fold on the turn was excellent, you didn't get trapped into the hand. Remember this is a decision making game and you made the best decision in this case the most profitable one.....(folding).

Old 09-25-2002, 08:27 AM

Thanks Mikey...I didn't consider that my re-raise might be poor. Part of me was saying that I should fold to the BBs re-raise, but I knew he might bet like this with top pair, good kicker to charge the straight draws (plus I got to make my only cap bet of the night). I figured the SB had me on an overpair and was reading the BB like I was (or visa versa), so his two cold calls scared the hell out of me--I suspected he made a straight on the turn, and was surprised when he folded.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:32 AM

Tight/passive table. Usually, there are three seeing the flop for two bets.

First of all, I don't think this is very passive. Are these good raises or garbage rasies preflop?

Flop: 5,6,9 rainbow

Capping the flop here is good, I think. You need to make the draws pay. And if TP or NP limped in early position with 78, then that sucks and you have to deal with it. (Well, NP has a little bit of an excuse.)

Turn: 8 completes rainbow, board is 5,6,9,8

I think folding to one bet here is not good. NP is already out of chips, so he's likely the throw them in with any pair at all. Even though SB is still left to act, there's a lot of money in that pot, and it's worth calling down (about 14 BB now). Plus you capped it on the flop and now you're folding to a single turn bet. This seems like it would invite people to take shots at you.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:44 AM

If you knew/suspected your flop cap would be called by the other two players its not that bad even if you suspect you're behind. Folding the turn is ludicrous. You have 8 outs to beat two pair and the pot is giving you 12:1 on your 6:1 shot. Yes, you could be drawing dead to a straight but its still worth calling the turn bet - if there's a raise/checkraise on the turn you can safely fold. Folding the river, though, would be reasonable if you were very sure you're behind. I just don't see the logic behind capping the flop and folding on the turn for 1 bet.
Old 09-25-2002, 01:38 PM

I agree, the read is two pair.
However, I would stick around to the river and check/call, as our hero has a 8 outs if this is the case
Old 09-25-2002, 07:02 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Tight/passive table. Usually, there are three seeing the flop for two bets.

First of all, I don't think this is very passive. Are these good raises or garbage rasies preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

First in usually raised and usually would get a caller or maybe both blinds, there was little limping pre-flop. Action post flop was non-existent unless BB or I were in the pot. A few hands were checked to the river. This was, I think, the only time betting was capped on any round all night--bet, call or check, check was common.

I think you are right about the inviting shots, but at this table that might have been a good thing.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I just don't see the logic behind capping the flop and folding on the turn for 1 bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

After the flop and unusual action, I planned on check/folding unless I got an ace. I would have planned on calling down if the SB hadn't cold-called on the flop twice. I'm 99% sure I would have folded if I called the BB and the SB raised the turn, so I figured I'm saving that one bet. When the SB folds behind me, I started thinking "What the hell am I thinking?" Agreed, not much logic in that play.

Thanks for the input everyone. Playing big pairs against multiple opponents gives me fits sometimes.
Old 09-25-2002, 08:45 PM

BB's re-raise was a clear sign of a flopped set or two pairs. I would just have called and folded on the turn. While it is true that you may have 8 outs only 2 were clean outs because he could have ANY 2 pairs which you do not know. If a 6 or 9 fell on the river and he bets out, you may have been tempted to call and you're toast. I've seen many players make this mistake hoping for a counterfeit. Good fold.
Old 09-26-2002, 01:03 PM

if two pair, he has 14 outs, 8 of which are clean.