Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2004, 04:12 PM

Default The 2 Dell 19\" monitors....

With the 25% off flat panel coupons, and all the $40-50 stackable coupons out there now, I'm definitely going to take the plunge on an LCD and finally dump my CRT.

I know the 2001fp is the monitor of choice around here, mostly due to its multi-tabling capabilities. As much as I'd love to have 20" of LCD goodness, I'm having a hard time convincing myself that I should be spending $550 on something that I'm just playing poker and doing basic web/word applications on.

So I've moved my attention to the 19 inch models, which are very different in price from each other. Can anybody recommend one over the other? Is the quality of the display that much better on the more expensive model to justify the extra cost?

$329 for a 19-inch LCD seems like a damn good deal to me. I'll still have less overlap than I have on my computer now when I 3-table; and quite frankly, I've never minded at all that they overlap, so 1600x1200 isn't the end all and be all for me.

Did anybody else go with a 19-incher as a compromise? If so, which one? How's the quality? Should I get the E193 or the 1905?

Thanks.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:58 PM

Default Re: The 2 Dell 19\" monitors....

No overlap is so much better and it is not even close. Can you see why?
Old 12-10-2004, 05:10 PM

No. Do explain. Simply for being able to observe all tables at once?
Old 12-10-2004, 05:20 PM

If you play more than 2 tables, you will find it MUCH easier to do without the overlap. I wouldn't be suprised to find you moving up to 4-tabling if you had the hardware to do it without overlap.

If you are going to compromise, compromise by getting a CRT that does 1600x1200 or higher resolution (can be had for < $200).

Seriously, once you play without overlap, you will never go back. It will pay for itself.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:46 PM

Ok. Let's pretend for a second I don't play poker, I don't know what poker is.

What monitor should I be looking at?
Old 12-10-2004, 06:01 PM

Either the biggest, highest resolution flat CRT you can get your hands on. This will probably mean a good 21/22" CRT, most should be capable of 1600x1200 at very nice refresh rates or 1792x1344 at something livable (70+ hz typically, the higher the better).

For fixed pixel displays (mainly LCD for the computer world, but also applies to plasma & DLP based devices) you'll want again want the largest & highest resolution you can afford.

The problem with the majority of the 19" LCD panels is not their size, obviously they're only an inch smaller than a 20" model. Most 19" LCD's are only 1280x1024 pixels, which offers significantly less desktop space than a 1600x1200 native resolution display. While CRT's can handle any resolution within their bandwidth limits, LCD's do not handle non native resolutions well and cannot be run higher than their fixed pixel resolution. You can run them at lower resolution, but it won't look anywhere near as good as it does at its native resolution.

In short:

CRT's: 21/22" (basically 20" viewable), the better the monitor the higher resolution/refresh rates you can run.

LCD: Minimum of 1600x1200 pixels, which typically limits you to panels 20" and larger.

Viper GTS
Old 12-10-2004, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Did anybody else go with a 19-incher as a compromise? If so, which one? How's the quality? Should I get the E193 or the 1905?

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, the 1905 monitor can rotate to portrait mode. This allows two tables to be place top and bottom with no overlap. The E193 doesn't rotate, there will be overlap with it.

Note that your video card and driver must support the rotation. Dell doesn't provide any rotation software.

As others have said, no overlap is a huge plus to multitabling.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:28 PM

HOLY COW! They just delivered my two new 17" from Dell. I love them This is the best thing since freerolls!

My only regret is that I did not get the 19" ... I guess bigger is better.

But multitabling is now a new ball of wax ... and I love it.