Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 05:05 PM

Default Downswing

I've been playing 1/2 limit on Poker stars lately and I just lost about 40 bucks in maybe an hour. Is this a normal downswing, should I expect this to happen or am I playing bad? I don't feel to bad about it as I lost most of it on good hands that got beat. Looking back I could of shaved of a few losses, I got in a raising war on the flop with KK against somebody who tripped his 44. I called him all the way down and lost two bets when I should of known I was beat. My other main losses were on QQ and 77, it just seemed like everytime I got a good hand it got beat on the flop. Much of it was lost on hands I raised pre-flop but had to fold after.

I just need somebody to tell me this is a normal downswing so I can get my confidence back. I just moved up from .50/1 and losing 40 bucks so quickly makes me think I should go back down.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Downswing

I lost $40 today in one minute and 57 seconds.
Good thing I am adequately bankrolled.
Are you?
Old 09-20-2005, 05:09 PM

With the new sheriff patrolling these parts, I'm putting the over-under at when this post gets locked at 20 minutes. Anybody want some of this action?

(And before it does -- yes, a 20BB downswing in one hour is totally normal. Did you ever lose $20 in a session at .5/1?)
Old 09-20-2005, 05:10 PM

Well, when you have KK and someone flops a small set, you are going to lose a lot of money. Recall in the books where they say you want to be up against AA/KK when your small pp hits a set on the flop? Well, it runs both ways.

Now, as for letting it go on the later streets, I would have to know more about the action and your reads on the opponent. I think it is common to call down as generally the pot is too big to fold, but it really depends.

As for losing 20 BB in an hour? I think we've all done that before. When I get a string of strong flush draws that don't come in I can lose a lot of money in some really big pots. As long as I'm playing those draws properly I'm not terribly concerned. Though I prefer the dead card periods to not give me anything at all rather than expensive non-winning hands.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With the new sheriff patrolling these parts, I'm putting the over-under at when this post gets locked at 20 minutes. Anybody want some of this action?

(And before it does -- yes, a 20BB downswing in one hour is totally normal. Did you ever lose $20 in a session at .5/1?)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take the over for a dollar...Wook won't even be awake for another 45 minutes.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:11 PM

SIIHP
Old 09-20-2005, 05:12 PM

A 20BB downswing is completely normal. Even 200BB downswings can be normal. Make sure you are properly bankrolled (300BB) for your limit.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:17 PM

Did I play these hands correct?

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP2 folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 3.75 BB

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 3.25 BB
Old 09-20-2005, 05:18 PM

Get dealt KK vs AA three times within an hour and both flop sets, and see if you are playing badly or it's just normal. Anything can happen in the short term.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:21 PM

I would say raising that second hand pre-flop is too aggressive. I may raise the first one on the flop, but I'd fold the second one.
Closed Thread