Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 10:07 PM

Default Dear, Would You Save Me The Last Bet?

This hand blew. Comments on my play? Anyone give up betting on seventh? Sixth?

7 Card Stud High ($30/$60), Ante $5, Bring-In $10 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.00 SB)

Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___raises

5th Street - (3.50 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (5.50 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

River - (7.50 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___calls
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: (9.50 BB)

Results in white...you know the drill.

<font color="white">Results:
Total pot $570 | Rake $3

Seat 4: [8h 5c 8c 9h 3d Th Js] (a pair of Eights)

Hero: [6c Tc 3c Kc Ah 5d Qs] (high card Ace)

</font>
Old 10-24-2005, 10:27 PM

Default Re: Dear, Would You Save Me The Last Bet?

I think the river bet is pretty player dependent, but I like it if for anything it keeps yours opponents guessing and will probably get you more action later on.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:52 PM

I am assuming you are playing the player, once you get it heads up. If the odds were that the player is likely to fold one pair on the river, then I think the play is fine. Not all bluffs work...they only have to work 1 in 10 times to be profitable. And at this limit, you need to try this once in a while.

But, if the player is a calling station, then you should back off on 6th and definitely check the river. No reason to give the "i can't fold player" any more of your hard-earned chips.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:56 PM

After getting calle don 5th, I would become afraid since your board is so strong and your opponent calls anyway after being CRed. On 6th you rag off and he gets a card that pairs him or gives him a str8 if he wasn't ahead already. At this point I would just giv eup the bluff because your opponent is too strong. Check call 6th and then bet the river with As, Ks often (and occasionally Ts). After betting 6th the bluff on the river is okay...it can't be too wrong given the size of the pot. But, I still probably don't do it under very often because his call on 5th basically affirms that fact that he think you might just have 3s or a flush draw.

-Carlos
Old 10-24-2005, 11:02 PM

CHECK 6th!!
Old 10-24-2005, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

CHECK 6th!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? You have enough pot equity combined with fold equity to keep pushing in this situation.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:33 AM

Everyone folds to you. You have an Ace in the door, and behind you are a dead Eight and the bring-in, who is a tight player. Naturally, you fold.

Oh wait, this is about you. I actually think that playing on third street is a little dubious. There are a couple of clubs out, and you don't have any high-card strength in a heads-up pot.

Against most players, I would check sixth. You've shown a lot of strength, and he called after you caught the Ace on fifth. I have a hard time imagining that he'll fold sixth. If you think that it will help set up a river bluff, go ahead and bet, but there's an excellent chance that he's made up his mind to call this one down.

Bluffing seventh seems to be the most consistent with how you've played the rest of the hand.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:19 AM

I like your play on all streets. You're the favorite until sixth i think versus a smaller pair. I like the river bet as well. Reason being that the pot is huge and you won't win it by checking. If you get called on the end it shows your opponents that they can't play perfectly against you by passing marginal hands on the river. There is nothing easier than playing against an opponent who never bluffs.

I don't like checking sixth as when you play your draw this way your opponents will never "know" for certain if you have this hand or trips or a bigger pair. It adds some interesting game theory implications into how they now have to play against you. Of course against this opponent it means you should also value bet one pair hands on the river against him.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

CHECK 6th!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? You have enough pot equity combined with fold equity to keep pushing in this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beta, his opponent committed to calling once he called 5th. How often do you see people fold 6th. Calling is very often the correct play. He has no fold equity. The only way jeff's opponent folds sixth is if jeff catches something scary. His opponent very well could have put him on the hand Jeff has-- a 4 flush. Semi-bluffing people who are gonna call anyway is foolish.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:38 AM

I probably bet out 4th because pairing my 6 or 3 is probably not enought to help me win. I'd like a checkraise there more with a hand like KT92cccc.

Also, I wouldn't mind taking this down on 4th. I realize I can't be behind too bad. But there are 2 dead clubs, and I'm probably behind very slightly to a pair. I think check-raising might tieing the opponent on.

5th is fine.

6th I'd check call

7th is fine (although sucky)