Kangaroo 5 62.50%
Cow 0 0%
Rhino 0 0%
Elephant 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-20-2005, 09:24 AM

Default giving a fish...as a gift...

so every morning i get up and feed my new pet fish tsunami

sarah decided to get me a fish for a 2hr drive back home last saturday. not fun. but now that i have it home, im wondering about whether or not its a good idea as a gift. I mean, the last time i had a fish i was like 5 years old.

this one is a beta fish that does look kinda cool...and i will try not to kill it...but what happens when i go on vacation? just give it to a friend to feed?

tsunami is lookin at me now and he watches me when i study or play poker and he mayb e good luck but i dont know yet...overall im happy with him and i like it, but...

my main question is:

is it a good idea to give a living creature as a gift to somebody who does not expect to get it?? (ASSUMING you are not related to the person/live with them...like a dad buying a surprise puppy for his son/daughter does not count...we're talking about giving something thats alive to another person you dont live with)

-Barron
Old 10-20-2005, 09:26 AM

Default Re: giving a fish...as a gift...

It's not bad, but teach a man to fish...
Old 10-20-2005, 09:40 AM

I do not think it is a good idea at all. As you stated, it can become a burden for various reasons such as going on vacations or even just staying somewhere else overnight. It is a big responsibility (eventhough we are only talking about a $10.00 fish here), you have to feed it, clean the tank... I would not do that to a friend unless he/she stated that he/she wanted one.
It sounds that Tsunami and yourself are getting along fine though.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:45 AM

aslong as it's occompanied by a life long (fish life) supply of fish food, i think it's fine. Obviously it should be only if you think the person will like the gift.

Gifts taht require the reciever to spend money (unless they've mentioned how they want a fish, but even then. .common it's fish food, add it in the gift)
Old 10-20-2005, 09:49 AM

IMO it's bad form.

You're forcing a certain level of responsibility upon the receiver which they may or may not be comfortable with. You are also forcing a living creature into the care of someone who may or may not be able to give that animal the proper care it needs.

It typically does work out just fine. That bond you feel with Tsunami (great name btw) is common and will occur naturally most of the time. But it is still a big leap between a normal gift and a pet.

And yes, Beta's are good luck. Enjoy!
Old 10-20-2005, 10:31 AM

If you don't like the beta after a few weeks just go down to the pet store and buy yourself a second beta and add it to the same tank/cup.

You will have a gladiator style fight to the death.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:42 AM

u can feed them and bunch and hope they dont die...its not an expensive enough fish that ur friends are gonna be thrilled about feeding the $5 thing in a crappy fishbowl unless its someone thats gonna be around anyway!

they only live a year or so...like 3 TOPS if taken well care of....

the bowls are a pain in the butt to clean...only cool thing about these is if u have 2 they fight to the death!! or u can put another in a bowl next to it and they will charge at each other!!

flush it now!!! or get a cool bowl with a plant growin on top and neat rocks in the bottom...otherwise its just lame!

if ur gonna have a "pet" though its one of the easier to leave for long peirods of time besides like reptiles...u can get lil auto feeders for him if ur that concerned...betas usually arent worth it though
Old 10-20-2005, 12:45 PM

I had a girlfriend who was an animal lover and we always used to window shop at the pet store near my place. For Christmas one year I gave her two birds in a cute cage -- finches, a male and a female. She was very surprised and absolutely loved the gift -- it went over very very well.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:58 PM

Buying someone an animal, even a fish, as a surprise is bad form IMO. I recall my parents gave me a hamster as a surprise one time long ago (I had had one previously that died about six months before). I took good care of it and everything, but only because I felt guilty about rejecting my parents' gift. I certainly hadn't particularly wanted a new hamster, and even a small pet like that or a fish is kind of a burden to take care of.

The fact that she bought it for you with your own money makes it worse.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:09 PM

Is a beta fish one of those fighting fish? From pictures in Google it looks like one.

If you get bored with Tsunami you can just buy another one of thise guys and put them in the same little bowl. You can even place bets with friends on the winner.

Edit: kipin beat me to it.