Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 06-13-2005, 12:26 AM

Default JJ near bubble - badly misplayed?

Not pushing preflop seems really wrong now. And I'm not too fond of pushing the flop into 2 bigger stacks. How bad is this hand?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (7 handed) converter

UTG (t305)
MP1 (t535)
MP2 (t1115)
CO (t1975)
Button (t1805)
Hero (t1490)
BB (t775)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls t200, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls t200, Button calls t200, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t1000) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font> I push
Old 06-13-2005, 12:39 AM

Default Re: JJ near bubble - badly misplayed?

With the blinds this high I would push preflop. The only thing that would really concern me with a preflop push is the fact that UTG limped for 200 with a stack of 305. This play by UTG seems to indicate that UTG is either bleeding chips or has a monster. With no reads on UTG I would lean towards the latter.

The problem for me with just limping, is it looks like you've got the best hand preflop. By letting the other 4 players limp into the pot you are letting them get a cheap flop and outdraw you when you are most likely ahead. I prefer to make them pay to play catchup.

If someone has limped with a monster, then so be it. With blinds this high I'm unlikely to see so many chips in the pot again with just limpers and me having this strong of a hand.

Assuming you decide to just limp, then the push on the flop seems reasonable. There is 1k in the pot, you have an overpair on a board that has a flush draw on it.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:39 AM

7 handed isn't exactly near the bubble. And yah, you really should push this preflop.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:41 AM

7 ppl left is near the bubble? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I assume this must be an 11 or 22 with this many limpers at level 5. I hate playing JJ as an overpair against so many limpers. I'm usually pushing preflop here and hoping a bigger PP wasn't planing a limp raise (small stack calling 2/3 of his stack UTG), or playing this for set value which you missed. JJ just sucks as an overpair against this many people.

Edit: wow you gotta be fast around here. I posted when there were no replies.