Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 09:29 AM

Default Re: Sexton Joins the \"Reraise\" Club

[ QUOTE ]
This
thread
is
stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

As useful as this commentary is, let me ask you this:

Do you believe that Mike Sexton ought to know the difference between a raise and a reraise?

If you have no opinion (or one not worth sharing), just don't reply.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Lastly, is there any validity to the other poster's opinion that as a matter of good form alone it makes sense to vary your vocabulary, particularly when using/utilizing words which are close enough in meaning as to be only negligibly different connotatively?

I am sincerely curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is very valid. Have you ever read something where the same word is used 3 times in 2 sentences? It makes me cringe. I can't even write anything where I use the same word too often. Varying word choice is key in these situations. You don't have to have an English degree from a prestigious university to realize this.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Diva. It's not a nice term. It's an insult. Look it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see your point, but I think you might be missing the fact that folks KNOW it's not a "nice term."

Think "bitch." Sure, it's not a "nice term," but a lot of women use it to describe themselves or their friends in a sort of endearing way.

The day they start using the "c-word" in the same way is the day we'll know something peculiar is happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

You give people too much credit. They think it's a fancy work for "star".

I know of no one who uses "bitch" as a term of endearment outside of people in the 'hood or Paris Hilton. More a Hollywood invention of people trying to be cool rather than an everyday usage, at least here in the red states. Here, it's still a major insult.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You give people too much credit. They think it's a fancy work for "star".

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think you give people too little credit. I think most people understand there's a hint of irony involved, using the term as a compliment or status term.

And by the way, technically, it is not an insult. Its literal definition is, of course, the lead female vocalist in an opera, or the one who performs the aria, if I'm not mistaken.

So it sort of goes round and round.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have my AP style-book handy but I thought it was 'an historic.'

If I was writing a news-story this is how I would write it. And I believe I actually HAVE written broadcast copy using the article 'an' with 'historic' although I admit I don't recall specifically looking this one up or whether I was ever taught it one way or another.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah ha! So you're the guy to blame. Let's correct this problem one writer at a time. Even if it is in the AP Style Manual that way. Because it is incorrect.

From the U. of Minnesota Style Manual (Here):

An. Use the article a before an initial h pronounced even slightly (a historian, a hypothesis, a horse). Use of an in such cases is considered affected or archaic in this country.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:26 AM

We're both wrong. And right. You're thinking of prima donna, which can both a compliment or an insult, but is now primarily an insult.

Diva literally translates as "goddess", and is a syn. for prima donna.

And you still give the public too much credit in regards to language. The average person is an idiot. Which is the perfect argument for limited government, that's all I need is a bunch of idiots telling me what to do. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2005, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We're both wrong. And right. You're thinking of prima donna, which can both a compliment or an insult, but is now primarily an insult.

Diva literally translates as "goddess", and is a syn. for prima donna.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well.....

From dictionary.com:

[ QUOTE ]
di·va ( P ) Pronunciation Key (dv)
n. pl. di·vas or di·ve (-v)
An operatic prima donna.
A very successful singer of nonoperatic music: a jazz diva.
a distinguished female operatic singer; a female operatic star [syn: prima donna]

[/ QUOTE ]

No mention of "goddess."

In any event, yes, the average person is an idiot. And yes, limited government is a great idea.

And yes, we are definitely in the wrong forum. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2005, 11:48 AM

Alright guys, I hate to break up the Dead Poet's Society, but isn't this forum supposed to be about poker? I'd love to do nothing more than wax intellectual about the English language all day, but I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) we all come to this forum to make fun of Phil Hellmuth and talk about Shana Hiatt's boobs. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Then again, it was a nice diversion from the norm...for the first couple posts. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2005, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My Professional Writing professor made a point of mentioning how "utilize" is a completely worhtless word. It means exactly the same thing as "use". It just sounds fancier.

She thought people who used "utilize" were confused as to how to properly use the English language.

[/ QUOTE ]

She sounds like a double plus good teacher to me.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:14 PM

Dueling dictionaries:

From m-w.com (that's Merriam-Webster)
Main Entry: di·va
Pronunciation: 'dE-v&
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural divas or di·ve /-(")vA/
Etymology: Italian, literally, goddess, from Latin, feminine of divus divine, god -- more at DEITY
: PRIMA DONNA

Main Entry: pri·ma don·na
Pronunciation: "pri-m&-'dä-n&, "prE-
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural prima donnas
Etymology: Italian, literally, first lady
1 : a principal female singer in an opera or concert organization
2 : an extremely sensitive, vain, or undisciplined person