Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 04-27-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Negreanu now vs. 8 months ago... sad times.

You need to be around poker to understand how often younger players cannot handle winning large sums of money(in the tens of thousands and up). There is far more that goes on with the pro's and semi pro's than is shown on television. There are maybe hundreds of Vegas, AC, and Los Angeles tournaments each year with payouts greater than $25K.

[ QUOTE ]
He is in his 30's. He is not in the same age group as Fischman, or even Laak. These are the only two younger guys I can think of that got over-the-top rambunctious winning a medium sized tournament (I would consider these large tournaments). I don't think Esfandiari gets too out-of-line in his antics.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-27-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He is in his 30's. He is not in the same age group as Fischman, or even Laak. These are the only two younger guys I can think of that got over-the-top rambunctious winning a medium sized tournament

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil Laak is substantially older than Daniel.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He is in his 30's. He is not in the same age group as Fischman, or even Laak. These are the only two younger guys I can think of that got over-the-top rambunctious winning a medium sized tournament

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil Laak is substantially older than Daniel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, you are right. He is the same age as me. Born in '72. I played with him once several years ago and he struck me as quite young. we were probably 28 or 29 at the time. Youthful exhuberance I guess.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:55 PM

I agree that Daniel seems to be a really nice guy, and my post means no disrespect to him, just a change in him I noticed that to me was something that has simply made me much less interested in what he has to say. I still think he is a great player, and does indeed seem to be a great guy, regardless of what his motivations are.

As far as the assholes of poker, they simply aren't interesting, so hearing their point of view or seeing their next schtick on TV just isn't entertaining or informative to me. They should save the springer for daytime TV.

I respect Daniel, and I still think he has the game's best interest in mind when he does what he does, which is commendable. I also don't think that money is his only motivation to make poker more acceptable and appealing to the masses, but its definitely a nice addition.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:03 PM

Right off the top was his attitude. He acts like a professional, he treats people with respect, etc. He was more of a Barry Sanders a few months ago, whereas now it doesn't seem as much so.

He has also encouraged pros to shed the shades and hats and other stuff to make poker more appealing. obviously for some this wasn't going to happen, but it was still a good attempt at lightening things up for the general public and their interest int he game. I'm sure arguments can be made for both sides, that the shades and hats add tot he mystery or whatever, but I think one of the primary goals of people spearheading the poker boom is to make poker a universally acceptable means of competition and gambling. There's only a handful of states where even home poker isn't illegal, and even fewer have cardrooms. It just always seemed to me that in interviews and general attitude, his goal was to make poker more acceptable as a competetive game rather than a backroom shady event.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:16 PM

Your right. He wouldn't respond as he maybe he thinks he is more important than him.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:25 PM

I think this is the closest to accurate reply. Without going into detail. I have had similar experiences with Daniel and get the same vibe. He deep down is probably a "good guy". But he is a little full of himself and his abilities. He does go out of his way to say hi back if someone says hello to him. But i get the vibe he does it in more of a politician way. That doesn't mean he's a bad guy. Just means i think he believes himself a little more important than everybody else. But as vince said this may change with age. Btw i would not put him in Phil H.'s league of obnoxiousness. As Phil would probably look down on you if you said hello. He seems to be an obnoxious spoiled brat. With a belief that the would revolves around him. And you are not worthy of him. Just a guess form an outside viewer. As i have never talked to him. In fact i don't think he has ever look my direction. Maybe i'm not worthy?
Old 04-27-2005, 08:25 PM

Congradulations on becoming a new father! I wish you, your wife and daughter well! I hope your daughter is healthy in mind and body! May she grow up to be a beautiful and bright woman! Don't let anyone fool you, the terrible two's are nothing compared to the teenage years! But that's a long way off, well not really. Enjoy, enjoy enjoy every day you have her. My sons are in their 30's. It goes so quick. Too quick. Again, Congradulations!

P.S. Since you posted in this thread does that mean I have to stop posting here? I forgot.

Good Luck,

Vince Lepore
Old 04-29-2005, 07:09 AM

Default We already have the McEnroe

[ QUOTE ]
Daniel would be a great spokesman for poker. Obviously, Steve Wynn agrees.

[/ QUOTE ]

Daniel Negreanu could become the Andre Agassi of tennis.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:52 AM

Default Re: We already have the McEnroe

No Andre Agassi is the Andre Agassi of Tennis.