Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2005, 08:48 PM

Default My take on AA preflop

Hi
I have recently become sucessful in mtt tournaments. I won my first 1700 people tournament and narrowly missed out on some equivalent final tables through bad beats.

I found my biggest advantage was limiting pre flop all in.
When i was down to the last 100 and had AA and two people went all in i folded. I considered the odds of going out where roughly 1 in 3. So after 4 hours of play why did would i want to hinge my tournament future on those odds when i could pick a hand later where my chances (having seen the flop) would be much higher.
In fact if you go all in twice in a tournament with AA against two other opponents, then you are less then 50% change to survive those two showdowns.
What do you think of this? Have i miscalculated??
Old 04-02-2005, 09:02 PM

Default Re: My take on AA preflop

oh god...
Old 04-02-2005, 09:14 PM

Please tell me you are joking...

If not. I really don't know what to say.

I think there are very very few spots in which you should fold AA preflop. I think Sklansky had one where you are in a satellite that gives out seats to say the top 5, you can fold your way to a seat and really have nothing to gain by playing the hand and everything to lose.

In your instance you have a shot to knock out 2 players and gain very valuable chips for use at the final table. If it was me my chips would have been in the pot before theirs.

But that's just me.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:22 PM

I decided to edit my nasty post, like I say everytime...u jump, dance around, sit down, grab the mouse, press call.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:29 PM

You're considerably better than 1 in 3 in this spot. You're going to need some bullets at the final table to win, and what better spot than this? Personally, I'd never fold in this situation, but I still admire the discipline you had to lay it down.

I did some computer simulations on how various hands hold up assuming a completely random holding by your opponent. Let me stress that this data assumes your opponents are playing something completely random. According to that data, AA will win approximatley 73% of the time against two opponents who have both gone all in.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:34 PM

there is a forum for you here

going all in as a favorite is usually a good thing, maybe not.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:48 PM

a guy actually wrote this on that forum : If there is one player all-in, its generally common courtesy to stay out of the way of the first caller. If he is willing to risk his chip stack to knock out a player, you should be willing to fold AA.
Its sort of like chopping the blinds in a cash game... its just one situation where the players have nothing really to gain by throwing more money into the pot.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:55 PM

after the guy was called an idiot he continued:run pocket aces against a random hand and you'll be a huge favorite, run them against two random hands and you're almost even with the field.

If someone is willing to put their nuts on the chopping block to knock a player out, generally, you will want to stay out of the way regardless of what your hold cards are. If the all-in is fairly small and someone simply calls, then maybe you can go over the top to narrow the field and create a side pot.

The only situation where you should fold pocket aces is in competition. Your goal isn't to win a particular hand, its to win the entire tournament. I know someone who folded pocket aces in a tournament pre-flop with two players all-in. He actually made the right move. He would have lost the hand and been out of the tournament. Instead he was able to claw his way up three more positions and another couple hundred bucks in pay out.

Instead of debating whether to take small edges they talk about folding aces in the bubble, that forum is just really good for us.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only situation where you should fold pocket aces is in competition. Your goal isn't to win a particular hand, its to win the entire tournament. I know someone who folded pocket aces in a tournament pre-flop with two players all-in. He actually made the right move. He would have lost the hand and been out of the tournament. Instead he was able to claw his way up three more positions and another couple hundred bucks in pay out.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a little too results-oriented for me by saying, He actually made the right move. He would have lost the hand and been out of the tournament.'

In all actuality, if you're playing to win the tournament - like you claim to be - this is just a FANTASTIC situation to take a crap-ton of chips from two players. And if you lose, hey, that's life.

Folding AA is this type of situation is just not my style. Why? Because it's not a winning style, IMHO.

Respectfully agree to disagree on this one, I guess. Take care, and have a nice day.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:26 AM

April Fools Day was yesterday. Nice try, tho.