Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

View Poll Results: 77
Fold 11 42.31%
Call 15 57.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-2005, 03:05 AM

Default open raising trash on the button

I'm now open raising garbage on the button, sb, and bb, and taking it down with a cbet. If a blind calls the cbet, I play post flop poker. I play well post flop. Does anyone think this is spewing? Does anyone here have experience plaything this aggressively?

Edit: ok, maybe not any two, 56o and worse I dont. But pretty much anything else.

Edit2: NL100, 5-max, [censored] players.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:28 AM

Default Re: open raising trash on the button

Button isn't so bad, but still, trash is trash. Anyone who calls has a better hand, and it can cost you to find out how much they like it. Minor spewing.

Stealing from SB with trash, I don't like at all, unless its a very, very tight BB who always folds to steals. Now, not only do you have trash, but you're out of position. Major spewing.

I don't know what you mean by open raising in the BB, but if you mean raising after it folds to button and/or SB who limp, then its... meh. Same problem as above, although at least this time you know a little more about how much button/SB like their hand. Minor spewing.

If theres anything good to come of all this stealing, your PFR% will rise, and you might get more action on your good hands. Of course, anybody who pays attention to this will also pay attention to the fact that you're stealing everytime from the button/SB, and will PUNISH you for it.

thumbs down to raising garbage.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:09 PM

any other thoughts?
Old 12-28-2005, 03:13 PM

i don't open raise from the sb with trash ever.

with rarely do it from the bb as well, but ill do it sometimes if it's folded around to the sb.

i'll sometime raise the button with total trash, but usually the worst i'll raise with is SCs or suited one gappers. those are really fun to play in position.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:43 PM

yeah, scs are standard for me, i'll often raise those with limpers, but i'm talking Q8o trash.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]What are your completion requirements? What are your raising requirements?
Old 12-28-2005, 03:53 PM

This seems fairly standard. There was a good discussion about this a while ago, sorry I'm too lazy to find it. The basic idea is that it was better to raise garbage rather then a hand that had some value, since you don't want to be blown off a hand with some value while you can happily muck garbage. As far as blind play goes, NEVER just complete your blind if you and BB are HU, always raise or fold. Same goes for your BB, if SB just completes you should raise him always. For the people who think you will be punished for this, exactly how often do you think this situation arises? Not nearly often enough for someone to figure out what you're doing. Of course if someone does pick up on it then you need to shift gears. JMO
Old 12-28-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
since you don't want to be blown off a hand with some value while you can happily muck garbage

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you elaborate a little here? How am I being blown off a hand with value? If I pick up AKo and open raise on the button and some chap raises me, depending on the player, I'm probably 3-betting pot size. If I just call, I'll bet if checked to, and I'll happily commit my stack with TPTK heads up with preflop action.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]What are your completion requirements? What are your raising requirements?

[/ QUOTE ]

if limped to - i'll complete with AJ,KQ-KJ,QJ, AXs, certain suited, certain connected, and SCs
Old 12-28-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
since you don't want to be blown off a hand with some value while you can happily muck garbage

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you elaborate a little here? How am I being blown off a hand with value? If I pick up AKo and open raise on the button and some chap raises me, depending on the player, I'm probably 3-betting pot size. If I just call, I'll bet if checked to, and I'll happily commit my stack with TPTK heads up with preflop action.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think he's referring more to a less premium hand like QJs.

you hit TP, but youve got an OK kicker - puts you in a tough place whereas if you hit TP with a 4 kicker you happily fold and not regret it.