Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2005, 06:42 PM

Default Is it +EV to reraise an obvious cb with air?

As I move up in limits I have become very adept at spotting CB's or just small drawing bets and raising to the pot or more with nothing but air. They almost always fold but it got me wondering as to wehther or not most people do this with nothing but air or require that they have a medium strength hand to do this?
Old 12-24-2005, 06:44 PM

Default Re: Is it +EV to reraise an obvious cb with air?

It depends on how obvious it is, but if it's an obvious CB, I don't see how it couldn't be +EV.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:45 PM

Yeah but the problem is that up until the past week or so I haven't seem many of these being pulled at the .5/1 level and was wondering as to whether I should expect to be c/r'd all in with my move.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:54 PM

If you think it is a drawing hand, I usually don't raise with air. This is because donkeys who minbet with draws, will always call a big reraise to see the turn card.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:56 PM

I agree Isura and usually if htey call and the turn is a card that fits their possible range I will cease my bluff. But if the turn is a blank do you think it would still be fine to fire out another PSB?
Old 12-24-2005, 07:30 PM

I would expect a donk to re-raise all in with a flush or str8 draw..to be honest I would expect it of a few 2+2 ers too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-24-2005, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As I move up in limits I have become very adept at spotting CB's or just small drawing bets and raising to the pot or more with nothing but air. They almost always fold but it got me wondering as to wehther or not most people do this with nothing but air or require that they have a medium strength hand to do this?

[/ QUOTE ]

isn't position nice? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-24-2005, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if the turn is a blank do you think it would still be fine to fire out another PSB?

[/ QUOTE ]
Only if you are quite certain that they are drawing. If not, just give them the free card and check it down.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:07 PM

This is one of my favorite moves. +EV for sure.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:53 AM

Lets say the pot has 2x chips in it, villain bets x chips (your obvious c-bet at work). to raise the pot, you must call x and raise 4x more. Betting 5x chips to win 3x. so, you need to win the pot more than 5 times for every 3 times you lose it to be +EV. Seems a bit close for my taste, unless my read is dead on.

Now, if we were to instead raise to 3x, we only have to win the pot slightly more than half the time for +EV. This, however, gives your opponent 3-1 odds to call, which he likely will with overcards or any draw... so it'll be much less effective.

In any case, this is a fancy move to pull, often risking lots of chips to win a smallish pot. I'll only pull it in cash games every once in a while, with a good read. (However, I do it a lot more often in tournaments, as my folding equity is generally a lot stronger)