Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 09-12-2005, 11:47 PM

Default Keg Suggestions

I've got a two-keg kegerator and just polished off a keg of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I get the feeling the other keg - Shiner Bock - isn't far behind, so I'm taking suggestions for one or both.

I'm a hop head. The Sierra Pale was good, but if I was just buying bottles I'd much prefer Stone IPA or Ruination over that. Kegged, the best I can do here is Sierra. I also love hefeweizens and am thinking about trying to get a keg of Weihenstephaner, if I can get it. If not, I'm also considering Spaten Pils or a similar beer.

So, given my tastes - hops or good German beers, preferably weizens - suggest a keg or two. Cost isn't much of a factor, and certainly much less of an obstacle as availability. Also, if I'm getting a German brew, I'll almost definitely have to get a new part to tap it. The cost isn't a big deal, but if the second keg runs out before it gets here, I'll probably just run out and get a keg of a domestic, so that might affect any combo pairings you have in mind.

As a last note, does anyone have any experience try to get a seasonal keg from breweries? I love Sierra's Summer brew, but I don't know if I can just ask the distributor to get a keg of it.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Keg Suggestions

I can't really help, but I was wondering how long the beer stays good in your kegerator. A week? Longer?
Old 09-13-2005, 12:03 AM

I'd go with an Oktoberfest brew.

I've had Paulaner, Hacker-Pschorr, and Ayinger. Can't say I remember from last year which I most preferred [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

BTW, very jealous of the setup.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't really help, but I was wondering how long the beer stays good in your kegerator. A week? Longer?

[/ QUOTE ]
It'll be good for at least 6 months. Beyond that I'm unsure, since its never sat around that long. But, assuming your lines are clean, the beer is staying cool, pressurized, and sealed. There's really not anything to ruin it.

As far as being jealous of my setup, when I get into homebrewing I'll be able to put at least 2 homebrew kegs in there, if not 4, and then swap out depending on how many homebrews I've got and which commercials I want. Talk about heaven...
Old 09-13-2005, 12:56 AM

In my next house, I will have a triple kegerator with Guinness, Boddington's Pub Ale, and a rotating third keg. There should be a Keg of the Month club. If there was, I'd join that for my rotator.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:59 AM

My new roomie and I are looking at a kegerator for sure. What's it run you for a one or two keg model? Best place to find one?

NT
Old 09-13-2005, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My new roomie and I are looking at a kegerator for sure. What's it run you for a one or two keg model? Best place to find one?

NT

[/ QUOTE ]
It runs me whatever I can get a freezer for cheap off of classifieds, plus parts. Seriously, building one is a snap and commercial ones are seriously overpriced.

Since that was so marginally helpful, I'd say it goes $300-$500, depending mostly on your firdge/freezer costs and less so on the parts costs. Either way, its cheaper, more convenient, and tastier. You won't hit the bars as much, but this can be good or bad, depending.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
also love hefeweizens and am thinking about trying to get a keg of Weihenstephaner, if I can get it.

[/ QUOTE ]
And there's your answer my friend.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:02 AM

Natural Light
Old 09-13-2005, 01:06 AM

Dont know if it comes in kegs but im sure youd love Sam Smith Pale Ale. Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout is the best beer ive ever had.