Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 09-09-2005, 04:25 AM

Default River play: Call Capping

During 4 tabling 50c/1 to clear the Empire reload, I ran into this hand. It was pretty interesting at the time and I really got a kick out of it. So here is the hand and what I was thinking of the time.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Button folds, BB calls.

Turn: (9.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, BB calls.

River: (13.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls,

I figured that MP2 has hit the flush and also the BB (since he bet into me). I know the odds of this happening are pretty small, but that was my read when he called 2 bets on the flop. There was no other draw that he would call 2 bets there with.

To feel sexy, sexier than pokerbob, I call.

MP1 folds,<font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP2 calls, BB calls.

Final Pot: 25.25 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has 7d Ad (flush, ace high).
Hero has Jc Jh (full house, jacks full of fours).
MP2 has Td Qd (flush, queen high).
Outcome: Hero wins 25.25 BB. </font>

I know people are going to say raise the river since a flush will call/raise 2 bets here (especially the nut flush), but I stuck to a read and followed through with it.

-Freddie
Old 09-09-2005, 04:58 AM

Default Re: River play: Call Capping

Is this a situation where you want overcalls which you wouldn't get with a raise instead of a call?
Old 09-09-2005, 05:03 AM

Raise, hope the flush 3bets so you can cap.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:13 AM

Looks like good, solid play until the river. I'm not really a fan of call-raising, but in this particular instance it was very clever since you correctly put two guys on flushes. It could have cost you a couple of bets if nobody had raised though.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:23 AM

The most important point here is that you are thinking about your opponents hands and trying to maximize your EV based on those reads. Good stuff man.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:27 AM

I don`t like the river play. If the two flushes are out it normally will be capped anyway.
If your read is wrong you will lose bets.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If your read is wrong you will lose bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand this. I was also trying to enjoy myself a bit while grinding out all those hands for the bonus.

This is not one of those situations where I will lose money by making this play... well maybe if I played it this way every single time I hit this situation over the next million hands. But, I don't play it like this normally. I do exactly what all of you suggested, raise.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:30 PM

The odds that 2 people are on a flush draw (from the flop) are bigger then 50:1 against (if everyone plays every hand all the way). Even if one of the coldcallers did make a flush, they would not fold (maybe even 3-bet) so it just seems better to raise and hope the BB 3-bets so I can cap.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:12 PM

i would have kept betting.