Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 09-04-2005, 11:13 PM

Default Re: Todd Brunson Will Never Receive Sponsorship Dollars

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I really don't think he cares about the sponsorship.

[/ QUOTE ]

HELLO, $20m in winnings in the cash games?

[/ QUOTE ]

When he said that, does anyone know if that included his wins against Andy Beal? Because Doyle wrote in SS2 that Todd took 13.5mil off Beal.

Side question, who are the losers in the big mixed game? It seems like everyone claims to be a winner... Todd, Barry, Doyle, Chip, Chau, Harman, Ivey... The only person I can think of who is a known loser is Gus Hansen, yet all these other players are making millions somehow...
Old 09-04-2005, 11:43 PM

If you'd seen more footage of him, though, you'd know he's funny as hell, even if he is kind of a bastard.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:16 AM

I wouldn't be suprised if they are all just trading paint
Old 09-05-2005, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I really don't think he cares about the sponsorship.

[/ QUOTE ]

HELLO, $20m in winnings in the cash games?

[/ QUOTE ]

When he said that, does anyone know if that included his wins against Andy Beal? Because Doyle wrote in SS2 that Todd took 13.5mil off Beal.

Side question, who are the losers in the big mixed game? It seems like everyone claims to be a winner... Todd, Barry, Doyle, Chip, Chau, Harman, Ivey... The only person I can think of who is a known loser is Gus Hansen, yet all these other players are making millions somehow...

[/ QUOTE ]this has been discussed so much. first off you dont know all those guys are winner. hansen has admitted to lsing but has said he has won it back and has a nice bankroll. but most of the players make money form the wealthy people that sit down and take a shot. i think someone calculated ivey can make 8million if he makes like either .5BB or 1BB a hour playing x amount per week, i forget the exact numbers. but then theres variance so who knows
Old 09-05-2005, 03:36 AM

That was by far the best scene in all PS2 episodes i watched so far!
Old 09-05-2005, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When big money sponsorships start coming, I don't see Todd Brunson getting any bit of it. He's boring as hell to watch.

You need to bounce around like Scotty N. if you want to get some o' that chedda baby!

[/ QUOTE ]

boring?!? what you talking bout, didn't you see him flip out against that dealer?!!? man that sh1t was intense!

[/ QUOTE ]

Must've missed that one. But seriously, he just sits there brooding, looking all depressing like my ex-roommate who has no ambitions in life and is content working as a stockboy at a grocery store........in his 30's....and living with his mom. That's the image I get when I watch Todd Brunson.

Maybe he can use some of that 20 mil to buy a personality?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he doesn't want to turn himself into an a$$hole just to get attention? From what i have seen from him i think he is a layed back, relaxed, intelligent and likeable person. And that IS a sign of personality, but a good personality though; not like Helmuth or this unabomber-guy, who just show bad personality because it's like they are or, more realistic, because it drags alot attention. I don't say everyone who wants to be recognized has to throw all manners away neccessarily, but it helps.
Maybe he doesn't even want to change himself to get attention 'the good way' like Scotty N., just because he wants to be the one he is?
Old 09-05-2005, 04:02 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When big money sponsorships start coming, I don't see Todd Brunson getting any bit of it. He's boring as hell to watch.

You need to bounce around like Scotty N. if you want to get some o' that chedda baby!

[/ QUOTE ]

boring?!? what you talking bout, didn't you see him flip out against that dealer?!!? man that sh1t was intense!

[/ QUOTE ]

Must've missed that one. But seriously, he just sits there brooding, looking all depressing like my ex-roommate who has no ambitions in life and is content working as a stockboy at a grocery store........in his 30's....and living with his mom. That's the image I get when I watch Todd Brunson.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he doesn't want to turn himself into an a$$hole just to get attention? From what i have seen from him i think he is a layed back, relaxed, intelligent and likeable person. And that IS a sign of personality, but a good personality though; not like Helmuth or this unabomber-guy, who just show bad personality because it's like they are or, more realistic, because it drags alot attention. I don't say everyone who wants to be recognized has to throw all manners away neccessarily, but it helps.
Maybe he doesn't even want to change himself to get attention 'the good way' like Scotty N., just because he wants to be the one he is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Valid points, for sure. Gotta respect the guy for not being something he isn't.

The thing is, for poker on television to be viewable, you need some of those crazy types with their antics. Yes, it can suck to be at the table with them, but they're sure hella-fun to watch.

If everyone at the poker table was quiet, reserved and respectful, do you actually believe the poker boom would've taken off like it did? Hell no, people would've fallen asleep watching it on TV and we wouldn't have so much of a money influx.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Valid points, for sure. Gotta respect the guy for not being something he isn't.

The thing is, for poker on television to be viewable, you need some of those crazy types with their antics. Yes, it can suck to be at the table with them, but they're sure hella-fun to watch.

If everyone at the poker table was quiet, reserved and respectful, do you actually believe the poker boom would've taken off like it did? Hell no, people would've fallen asleep watching it on TV and we wouldn't have so much of a money influx.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. It would be interesting to have a formular how many new viewers each 'baby' created [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2005, 04:29 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

[ QUOTE ]
True. It would be interesting to have a formular how many new viewers each 'baby' created [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not just talking about the whiners. What about Mattias Anderson, running around screaming "Daaaaaaoooowwww!" all over the place. ESPN made sure we saw that, and lots of it. I think the majority of poker players, in a situation where they stand to win tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands or a million+ would lose a bit of self-control and go nutzo on television. Most of them see a player like him doing that, and picture themselves in the same situation.

Winning money at those levels can change someones life, allowing them to pay off debt (and don't we know here in the U.S. personal debt is riDONKulously high), afford a new car, a new home or additions to ones home, freedom from a job you hate, etc.

Hell, I'm happy if I win a couple hundred bucks in a tournament at Foxwoods, but I'm easy to please. Daaaaoooooowww! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2005, 08:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL. Todd Brunson is about the last person I could picture hocking a clothing line or chip set. It just doesn't seem like something he'd do at all.

You're right that sponsors won't be throwing their money at him. He is thoroughly unlikeable. Any time I see him interviewed, every word is dripping with contempt.

I don't think he's sweating it much. He destroys cash games, and from what I read in the book about 'The Big Game' he is also very smart with his investments.

[/ QUOTE ]

He looks a lot like the guy I found licking oil off the tuna cans in my bin.

Mack