Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2005, 07:37 PM

Default Would a pot size bet have a +EV with this Q10s?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (6 handed) converter

Button (t625)
Hero (t755)
BB (t2520)
UTG (t2260)
MP (t870)
CO (t970)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls t30, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls t30, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t120) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t725 (All-In)</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, Button folds.

Final Pot: t845

I figured I had a pretty good chance of drawing out on anyone that would be calling this flop raise.

Do you guys think that I would have had the same effect betting only 1.5x the pot?

How do I figure out which one is a more +EV play?
Old 06-11-2005, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Would a pot size bet have a +EV with this Q10s?

Against 4 people and a hand that I don't like that much, I check-fold (call a small bet). Then again, I suck at playing postflop. Just what I'd do. I definitely think betting 6x pot here is wrong. It's probably 3/4th here.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:57 PM

yeah im pretty sure going all in wasnt the best move but do you think that hand would turn a profit in that situation by betting the pot? or 1.5x or 2x? How much is enough?
Old 06-11-2005, 07:59 PM

Betting 1.5x pot or 2x pot is way too much. You really need to cut down to 1/2 to full pot, depending on the board (my general range). Saves you money on dry boards, allows you to steal flops, and I think is generally better.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:01 PM

I like the all-in. Danny always all-in.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:06 PM

I see this line of thinking also. I guess I get a little carried away since im use to playing the 5's. A pot 2/3 to pot size bet looks good here.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:13 PM

I think your all-in bet is a very poor play. The only person that calls this bet is going to have you beat. Then you will have to hit your draw and chances are you won't make your draw.

If there is a 2nd [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the board this is a much stronger hand, as it is I think this hand is very marginal in this situation. You have 3 players to act behind you and while this flop doesn't look like it should have really hit anyone, in an unraised pot it is hard to say.

If you really think your hand is strong and that you have a good chance to hit your draw, then you should bet an amount that encourages people with weaker hands to call behind you. You can bet between 1/2 and the full pot in this situation and possibly get a weaker hand to call your bet.

Another line to take is to check raise as a semi-bluff in this situation. This allows you to get other chips into the pot and then take control of the betting on future rounds.

Personally with the blinds at this level and your hand and that board I check and call a small bet, but fold to any real strength. I would be willing to risk a small portion of my stack to hit my draw early, but I don't risk a large portion of my stack on a draw I'm most likely not going to make.

Just my $0.02.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:16 PM

Yeah, I forgot to mention that as well.

I check-call a small bet, fold to a big one. OESD just isn't that strong in an SNG, though this would be a lousy line to take in a cash game or a MTT.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another line to take is to check raise as a semi-bluff in this situation. This allows you to get other chips into the pot and then take control of the betting on future rounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt think about this option, I like it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

How effective do yo think this line would be in a party $10+1?
Old 06-11-2005, 08:58 PM

Without 12+ outs, I'd never use that line myself. You don't have that here.