Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 05-16-2005, 08:24 PM

Default .05/.1 Anything like higher limits?

I havent been playing online long but i've just played on PacificPoker with the 5 and 10 cents limits. I find it very difficult to get any kind of lead going with the 5$, im up and down but show no profit. It seems most everything i've read in SSH doesnt apply here. If I followed the pot odds ect I would be playign every hand.

Im just hoping my play on these tables are no indication of what its like to play at limits where people dont play every hand.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:28 PM

Default Re: .05/.1 Anything like higer limits?

Virtually everything in SSH holds at any nano, micro, small, and even mid/high stakes. Just because you miss your flush/OESD draws on the flop 10 times in a row doesn't mean it was wrong to chase it, for example. Post specific hands for input if you have more detailed questions about the application of odds or other concepts in SSH that you find when you're playing.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:30 PM

Default Re: .05/.1 Anything like higher limits?

Post hand examples. Bitching will only get you flamed with comments like "You should move up levels so that they will respect your raises."

You can still salvage this thread. Find a hand from your history that frustrates you and post it here.

Do it Now!
Old 05-16-2005, 08:31 PM

Default Re: .05/.1 Anything like higer limits?

[ QUOTE ]
Post specific hands for input if you have more detailed questions about the application of odds or other concepts in SSH that you find when you're playing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-16-2005, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would be playign every hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh...no. you shouldn't be playing every hand. I've played those games. just try and go in with the best of it and cross your fingers. don't be afraid to call down bluffs. And for gods sake, get out of pacific as fast as your BR allows.

[ QUOTE ]
Im just hoping my play on these tables are no indication of what its like to play at limits where people dont play every hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eventually you will get to a limit where they will fold. Just be patient.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:36 PM

Im not saying Im playing every hand, what i meant was the pots get very "large," at the 5 and 10 cent levels that according to SSH it would be correct to call these large pots a lot more often then seems correct.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im not saying Im playing every hand, what i meant was the pots get very "large," at the 5 and 10 cent levels that according to SSH it would be correct to call these large pots a lot more often then seems correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind that the "calling one more bet on the river in large pots" advice in SSH is probably the most mis-applied concept in the book. What Ed is actually saying is, if you have called a decent hand to the river, and the river card looks likely to have beaten you, and you're facing just one bet, you should call it if there is any chance you are still winning.

Unfortunately people take this to mean you should call down top pair from the flop with all kinds of scary cards on the board, just because "someone COULD be bluffing". The time to really evaluate your hand is on the flop, and you should be folding a lot of flops regardless of how big the pot is. (Unless you have a monster draw and odds to call or raise of course.)
Old 05-16-2005, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
according to SSH it would be correct to call these large pots a lot more often then seems correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

As with alot of the topics in SSH, this is situational. Be careful with this. Kind of like the raise or fold situations. You will find that fold is the best option most of the time.

I understand what you are saying. I played at pacific for 6 months. That site got me out of the red. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I know that when the pot is big you should do what you can to win it, but if the players will call you no matter what, you better have the best hand at showdown. Playing that game is an entirely different animal. I think it is almost as hard as playing higher limits. Just watch what hands the others are playing, and play accordingly.

Ben
Old 05-16-2005, 08:49 PM

Thanks for the input.

It seems not very easy to go for free cards and such, the play seems very similar to play money tables is all. THis is my first shot at limit hold-em though so I'm sure thats part of it. I'm planing on jumping rihgt in to the .5/1. I am just unsure what to do with so much raising and calling when people have nothing in the micros.

Overall I believe I am playing too many hands and I also have trouble concentrating on the different players. I have difficulty trying to follow people because they are just names on the screen, I've bought Poker Tracker to help but havent figured out how to set it up yet. Hopefully that will help.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:51 PM

can you really use PT with pacific? I heard you can.

That will tell you if you are playing too many hands for sure.