Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 11-23-2005, 01:53 AM

Default WWJD?

Is this spewing? What would Jeffage do?

Party 20/40, the 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] brings it in, and it's folded to me last to act with (A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. There are two dead tens. I complete and the bring-in calls. At this point I think it's likely he's putting me on a steal. Duh.

On fourth we both catch off-suit sevens. I bet and he calls. On fifth I pair my ace and he catches a queen. I bet and he calls. On sixth the boards are

Hero: (A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villain: (xx) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

So I've picked up a 4-flush to go with my pair of aces. But notice also that our boards have many of the same cards (and suits), which we all know from the perspective of the bring-in is a good thing. If he started with the best hand, it is likely that I haven't improved.

In any event, I bet, and he now raises. So I raise him back.

-blumpkin
Old 11-23-2005, 02:19 AM

Default Re: WWJD?

I don't think that too many people are capable of raising sixth without having one pair beaten. It looks like you're going to have to hit in order to win, and I have a hard time believing that he's going to fold now or on the river.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think that too many people are capable of raising sixth without having one pair beaten. It looks like you're going to have to hit in order to win, and I have a hard time believing that he's going to fold now or on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

What two pair hand are you putting him on? And players are definitely capable of raising without two pair in these situations, although I would expect the raise to come on fifth street.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:49 AM

Since he waited until 6th to raise, I'd think he's raising with the expectation that you'll call. Now that you 3bet, whats your line on the river if you miss? c/c or c/f?
Old 11-23-2005, 03:55 AM

It depends whether he caps or not. If he caps, I'm putting him on most likely a set of queens. I think check/fold unimproved, check/cry-call aces up, and check/raise a flush or trip aces. If he doesn't cap, I think I'm bet/calling any river.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:55 AM

You have alot of outs, but I think much more often than not you're behind here. Thus I dont favor the 3-bet on sixth. As for WWJD, Jeffage would catch a diamond.

Mike Emery
Old 11-23-2005, 07:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As for WWJD, Jeffage would catch a diamond.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
Old 11-23-2005, 09:22 AM

I'd limp here. Bet out any diamond, any card higher than 9 or higher.

I like this line alot more when your door card suxs.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd limp here. Bet out any diamond, any card higher than 9 or higher.

I like this line alot more when your door card suxs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll agree with this, and I definitely considered it. I should probably use this option more in the future.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:58 PM

For those saying to just call the raise on sixth, what do you think are possible hand ranges for the villain?

I alluded to but didn't mention explicitly in the OP that the villain is a solid player. In particular, he figured that I was stealing, and was likely thinking this on next level as well.