Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-07-2005, 10:48 AM

Default A made-up hand

This hand is similar to one I played yesterday but I took a different line. I've been thinking about this line and whether or not its a good one so let me have it.

Party 1/2 6-max but its only 4-handed. UTG is TAG both pre- and post-flop most of the time but has been running the table over since it got down to 4-handed, raising often preflop and taking it down either then or on the flop.

UTG raises to $6, folded to me in the BB and I call with T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($13)

I check, UTG bets $9, I raise to $30, UTG calls

Turn: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($73)

I check, UTG bets $50, I push for $200 total.

Eh?
Old 11-07-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Re: A made-up hand

Why not just check/call flop? You only need ~$25 more out of villain if you hit to make the call worthwhile, and you'll probably get it if he's that aggressive, won't you?

Too obvious? I'm clearly not swift on the high-aggression, sh game.

Edit: OK, I get that you're representing a made hand, but villain called your raise and bet out on the turn. Do you really think you'll fold him?
Old 11-07-2005, 11:05 AM

LOL. No, I don't like it. Try bet/3-bet the flop if you want to mix up some more aggression with a draw.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL. No, I don't like it. Try bet/3-bet the flop if you want to mix up some more aggression with a draw.

[/ QUOTE ]
What hands in the Party 6-max games do you ever see checkraise twice? Answer in white: <font color="white">sets, nothing but sets </font>
Old 11-07-2005, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What hands in the Party 6-max games do you ever see checkraise twice? Answer in white: <font color="white">draws, nothing but draws </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-07-2005, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What hands in the Party 6-max games do you ever see checkraise twice? Answer in white: <font color="white">sets, nothing but sets </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

The real question is what hands will call check-raises twice? And, is villain paying enough attention to notice this brilliant strategy?

I hate being OOP and check-raising without a made hand or at least a stronger draw. I need to buy some aggression pills from you and TWP [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2005, 11:20 AM

Your table selection must suck; my tables are full of predictable doofi who can only checkraise twice with the goods.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your table selection must suck; my tables are full of predictable doofi who can only checkraise twice with the goods.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once I checkraised for the trifecta on all three streets against a random villain on Party. It was awesome.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:26 AM

I do this from time to time.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:39 AM

I usually never checkraise twice with sets. Maybe I should try it more.

Anyway, isn't the point with checkraising twice to lure an opponent to invest more in a pot and therefore getting, almost, pot-committed, making it really hard for him to fold to a push? Does this really work in the other direction? Villian must be a really "strong" thinking player making a fold here with a decent hand.

EDIT: I wouldn't, at least, try it where I play - NL25. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]