Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 12:52 AM

Default Re: Job Offer

[ QUOTE ]
Amazingly my old company called me today,and seems to be ready to offer me a job...... I really have no idea what to do.

I've been playing full time for almost a year now, The lifestyle is AWESOME, the money has been very good, the hours are great, the freedom is amazing. But I dont know what I should say if they make an offer.

I am thinking 100k + bonus would get me back (or a total comp of 150+). I really dont know what to do, This could be my biggest decision I ever make, as it possibly can change the rest of my life [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

HELP!

[/ QUOTE ]

The job is the sensible safe option and you still don't want to do it, so don't. Life's too short.

chez
Old 09-14-2005, 02:30 AM

This is a no-brainer for a young guy with a family. Take the job. Play a few hours of poker a week and shove every dollar of profit into a qualified retirement plan.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:20 AM

the question is will it make you happy? Let me assume you will be working 60 hours a week at this firm... how much time are you going to have playing poker?
Old 09-14-2005, 07:47 AM

Haven't read all the replies and have no idea what the field is, but have you considered consulting for them? If you left the job to begin with, it is likely that you would not enjoy being back in the same position, so this would allow a lot more flexibility.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:16 AM

Just a couple of notes.

This is a similar job to the one I did the last year I was working at the company.....it was not nearly as bad as the job I did on a trading desk the first 4 years I was there.

I love poker, but I can go without playing 8 hours a day. My question isnt "How will I get my fix?" But rather "What is the best long term option for me factoring in earn rate and quality of life?"

Either way...... interview is this afternoon...... We'll see what happens [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

......Thx for all the input
Old 09-14-2005, 08:52 AM

One thing I have learned. Find something you enjoy and excel at it. If you are bright and enthusiastic you will make enough money for the things money buys but no amount of money can make a miserable job worth it. (IMHO)

So if you would like the job, take it and play poker on the side. If you end up hating it, go back to poker full time. Just remember to not do anything that sounds like 'grinding'.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:23 AM

Ask for $200K. Trade at $150-$175. or whatever.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:20 AM

DV - Just do whatever you think is going to make you the happiest. The extra money won't mean much if you're miserable all day.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
DV - Just do whatever you think is going to make you the happiest. The extra money won't mean much if you're miserable all day.

[/ QUOTE ]
you seem to have the best answers [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2005, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
you seem to have the best answers [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I think we're in similar situations. Good luck with the decision and the interview.