Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Dead Pair of Aces

Does anyone play this differently? How about if all the aces, including mine, were kings or queens?

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls

4th Street - (5.10 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (4.05 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

6th Street - (6.05 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: (6.05 BB)
Old 11-13-2005, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Dead Pair of Aces

This hand appears to be able to play itself. What are you doubting about the way you played this?
Old 11-13-2005, 06:56 PM

The fact that the aces are totally dead. I think I played it correctly, but I wondered if other people agreed, given the board's general liking for fully live hands. I also wondered if anyone had anything to offer on how you might play if the dead cards were all kings, queens or jacks (with no overs on the board).
Old 11-13-2005, 07:33 PM

It would be nicer if your aces weren't dead, but you usually don't have to catch trips or better to win, especially when you have aces. You would play this hand the same way whether your aces were live or not. The same dhould go with the Kings and likely queens. Stud is a game of live cards, but if you already have something the urgancy of needing live cards is not as great. Now, if he pairs his door card, then you might have some trouble. But also remember taht with 2 aces gone people are less likley to put you on a pair of aces and thus they may overbet their hand against you thinking you dont have the aces. So, even with this particular hand, if he pairs his door card, it is not totally apparent that you would fold.

But as I said, the hand is played fine.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:42 PM

I think I play it the same even if you have Queens. I definitely pound away with Aces. Get 7CS4AP.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:05 AM

I would probably muck jacks, that is my cut off hand for dead hands I think. Its still very situational.. If i had dead jacks and 3 players limped in front of me, I fold. If those same 3 players fold I'd probably raise. With queens if a bunch of people limp in front of you, you might just want to call rather than create a big pot.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:52 PM

Standard.