Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 12:41 AM

Default Re: Matt Hilger\'s WSOP proposal

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt this idea will work for the pros, even if it were $50K. Not enough dead money to make it worthwhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont think this necessarily the case, since the one constant among most poker pros is that they all think they are one of the best players in the world. especially the pros that would have $50-100k to buy into a single tourney.

not to mention that satellites would add dead money.

the only downside would be, as someone said a couple posts up, i think this would cheapen the significance of the main event.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:13 AM

The simple solution to the bloated main event is to raise the entry fee to $50K, $100K, whatever. Then have regional qualifiers, in Las Vegas, Tunica, Atlantic City, Paris, wherever. The satellites feed the qualifiers, the qualifiers feed the main event. If anybody wants to buy a seat directly into the main event for cash, let them. If online sites want to run satellites direct to the main event, let them. You'll still have a lot of players in Las Vegas for the main event, and you'll have a gigantic purse. You'll also have a much larger TV audience. They don't go directly from the regular season to the Super Bowl.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
rich fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why its fun to watch on TV.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If they are going to have a buy-in over $25K, I would like to see NO satellites at all. It's PUSU time, cough up the dough or go home.

[/ QUOTE ]

You cannot stop me and my 24 friends from putting up $1000 apiece and having a satellite. By the same logic, you cannot prevent online sites from offering a satellite to your tournament. Nor can you prevent people from soliciting backers, etc.

Theoretically, the house could refrain from running "official" satellites but considering (1) the satellites increase the number of entries, thus making the house more money, and (2) the satellites themselves are raked, it's hard to imagine the sponsor that would shoot itself in the foot by trying this.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You'll also have a much larger TV audience.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the only thing I disagree with in your post. IMO, the two things that would greatly increase TV would be if it was telecast live and on a non-cable channel. Large purses and playoff-like structure would give a small bump, but not that much.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, the two things that would greatly increase TV would be if it was telecast live and on a non-cable channel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree. This year's final table took nearly 14 hours. And a lot of those hands consisted of everyone folding to a pre-flop raiser. That would not attract new players.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The simple solution to the bloated main event....

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no problem, hence no required solution.