Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 11:55 AM

Default New Lesson Learned

I recently ruined any chance of hand protection by raising TOO much preflop, yes... i ruined my hand protection by raising too much...

I picked up JJ in BB with a gaggle of limpers; therefore, in an attempt to clear the field(wouldn't mind taking it down here) I raise to 6x BB. this normally would have been perfect, but, although I was aware that utg was short and pushing if he was playing, i wasn't aware of his entire stack count GOOF!!!

utg was playing, so all in he goes... $5 short of a total raise, so when a tricky regular in mid position calls, i can't reraise to get heads up with short stacker and suck in the callers dead money.

I did one thing right, but not right enough. I was aware of the short stack pushing if he was playing, but wasn't aware of his total stack amount. I should have known how much he had to the $ and raised an amount that would have allowed me to reraise his all in (which in this case was 5x BB). him being $5 short of a full raise cost me the entire pot.

Lesson Learned.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:26 PM

Default Re: New Lesson Learned

thanks for the story
Old 10-03-2005, 02:39 PM

You could have raised half of what the short stack had. that way when he goes all in and everyone calls the additional $x's you can now put in a hefty re-raise if that's the way you like to play JJ.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:44 PM

i know now.. i should have raised 5x BB.... he would have pushed, tricky regular would have called and i could have pump it up.... but i take this hand as a win since i learned something new...
Old 10-03-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
.... but i take this hand as a win since i learned something new...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the most important thing people don't understand. Bad beat stories are effective if you're honest with yourself and learn from it.
Closed Thread