Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2005, 08:30 PM

Default How to stay focused

I've been making my share of MTT final tables but I continue to have a "Matasow Moment" at the absolute wrong time. Like last night on PS, playing the 3+R which paid 4 entries to the $650, 5th place getting $25 and 6th place (out of 250 or so) getting squat. I played, for me, perfect poker (well one lucky 4 outer mid-tourney) to get to the chip lead with 7 left, having over T300,000 with the blinds T10,000/T20,000 and 3 stacks under T100,000. I didn't have the chip lead for more than a minute when I paid off a min-better who led out into an A high flop with T20,000 and I had an A too. I only had him just covered after the turn I thought he would give up but even on the river he min bet and I had to call, losing to the kicker. So I pissed away T60,000 for no good reason and lost the chip lead, a T120,000 swing. Then for some dumb reason I limped into the next pot which was 3-way and then tried to make an all-in move with my small pocket pair when another pair hit the flop. Of course chip leader flopped trips and I was out in 6th place, 5 hours of poker for nothing. If I had just been able to focus on the goal (which was not to win 1st, but to beat the 5h and 6th place guys) I know I would have made it. I go and make some dumb move against the chip leader. I didn't even think about him being the chip leader until he called.

OK, so now you know how bad I suck - how do I improve? When you think about your action is it always the same thoughts throughout the tourney or do you have different questions or scenarios you ask yourself when at final table or other key spots?

I need to find something like an electric shocker that gives me a jolt before I hit the Call or Raise button.

Anything else? How do you keep level-headed?

Thanks
Old 04-19-2005, 08:34 PM

Default Re: How to stay focused

I know what you are talking about. I think you just gotta find something specific that helps. Maybe force your self to take your hand off your mouse before each decision. That will help you think it through a little more. Or count to 5. Hopefully u will be able to find some movement like that, if nothing else works.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:45 PM

1st of 7, with 4 seats to be given out, why are you playing anything against anyone who shows you any sort of resistance? This is hardly a matter of focusing as it is a matter of knowing where you are, and learning how to pick your spots.

-sloth
Old 04-19-2005, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1st of 7, with 4 seats to be given out, why are you playing anything against anyone who shows you any sort of resistance? This is hardly a matter of focusing as it is a matter of knowing where you are, and learning how to pick your spots.

-sloth

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, and I sometimes forget this and end up in your situation. What I have been doing lately, and might sound cheesy, is to have a pen and paper with you and just start writing. Write about what you need to do to win, about the other players, their style, habits, image, etc. Anything that will keep you in the moment and remind you of your ultimate goal.

Hope this helps
Old 04-19-2005, 09:03 PM

Well yeah that's what I mean, being focused on knowing where you are. I know darn well not to go up against the chip leader there if I think about it for even a nanosecond but I don't. I often do but I will slip and I think it is because I don't have a ritual I go through each hand.

Anyone a golfer? To be consistent it is important to go through the same pre-shot routine. Everyone's is different but once it becomes a part of you it helps prevent doing stupid things. That's what I need in poker. And frankly I'm going to come up with something but I was just curious if anyone would share what they do.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:22 PM

I often use the 'remove hand from mouse' mentioned above and force myself to take extra time on every decision.

This is especially true in flat payoff structures where accumulating of chips isn't as important as surviving.

Does anyone else remember the WPT Final (I think) where D'Augustino goes into the final table with an enormous chip leads and busts out at 6th after making a series of completely unnecessary plays?

I think some people are so focused on their regular style that they get caught up in individual hands and lose sight of the overall goal.

They continue to play at the final table like they are playing in the early rounds of a tournament.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:23 PM

Drink Gilgo Bilobo or Green Tea.

I do not have these problem, so I cannot relate.

I work with extremely volatile people and situations, so I must always maintain my composure.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:23 AM

I've had the same problem, it's almost like an out of body experience, you're clicking the mouse buttons and once the hand is over, you'er like WTF? how can I just have made that stupid mistake?

What has helped me...if I am involved in a big hand I do take my hand off the mouse, it helps. What is even more helpful, is writing down these bone headed plays you have made in the past that have either crippled you or knocked you out of a tournament, have that peice of paper in front of you as a constant reminder, review it before you click the mouse, it will make you think twice. May help you take the time to put your oppenent on a hand, see if the pot odds are there for you to continue, etc... Silly I know, but's really helped me think through a hand and prevented a rapid fire response that will get me in trouble.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:47 AM

I've done the same thing. You just get tired and your eyes get lazy.

I played a satellite to the $160 double shootout tournament the other day. 50 spots get into the DS, and it's down to 61 players. I am at t28000 in chips, and I just brainfarted. I thought there were 51 players left, paying 50 spots, and a few players with less than t10,000 with t8000/t16000 blinds and t2000 ante. Well I'm on the button, folded to me with KQo. Any other time I try to steal. I fold. Blinds play and flop comes KKx. Then I realize there's 61 players left and by that time it's too late, although I fold junk until the BB cripples me with K3o and I go all-in and lose.

Moral of story- Pay the eff attention.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:31 PM

Everytime you're in a big pot lean back in your chair and start talking about the hand outloud. Talk about any reads you may have on your opponent, your chip position going into the hand, your chip position if you win the hand, lose the hand, fold the hand right then, etc. The longer you talk the less chance of doing something dumb, I find.