Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 04:21 AM

Default Re: Has college really changed that much?

[ QUOTE ]
that would have been a nice experience, mine was working 25 to 40 hours a week at a "good" job making about 3 times minimum wage, with a wife I didnt much care for and a kid I would gladly die for. I finished because I was stuborn. I always saw myself as a collage grad, so i finished.

I didnt even read the "make me stay in collage" thread. WTF do I care. I aint his dad. My opinion has always been, do whatever the hell ya want. The collages have been there for 100+ years. They aint going anywhere. As long as your not a complete idiot with the money you make, if your more interested in playing poker, play. When your sick of it (A point most people less simple minded than myself reach pretty quick) go back to school. Nobody really cares. Well, I'm sure parents do, but I don't.

Steve

(ps been drinking some, sorry if im making an ass of myself, but thats life)

[/ QUOTE ]

Now thats a REAL MAN'S way to live.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No money just makes it that much more fun. There's fun to be had on a college campus other than lame-ass social events. Most people suck anyway, but the sheer volume on a campus makes it damn hard not to find a few people worth your time. In conclusion, get a life, don't buy one, jerk.

SlimP

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I have a life, it consists of parties, drinking, fking girls, playing poker, and doing as little as possible to get As and Bs every semester. Whats yours consist of?

Just because you probably never experienced such bliss, theres no need to get bitter.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:29 AM

I suppose I wil tell you all my story about college. When I started, I knocked out the basic classes in about a year. I would still hang out with my high school friends at night and go to their parties. The problem with the parties is that I really dont like to drink. It might just be from 2 bad experiences...the first where i got really drunk and my dick just would not get hard for this bitch and the second when i passed out in the woods at some random ass college in Atlanta. So, I dont drink and I dont do drugs. Maybe I should...my life just might be a lot nicer.

So, since I dont drink and do drugs, there really isnt a whole lot for me to do at the parties, as that is all the kids do. I have tried going there and not drinking, but i feel like a total idiot, so I just dont go.

Last semester, I almost dropped out but I was pretty cool with the only 3 hot girls that just happened to be in all my classes, so I stayed in and got them to do all my work for me. It was nice. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] This semester, everoyne in all my classes is either really ugly or really weird...and to top if off, there was only one hot girl in one of my four classes. I guess hot women motivate me.

That all being said, I have no desire to learn some random ass [censored] about subjects I dont care about at all. I am pretty sure if I was studying something I actually was passionate about, I wouldnt have a problem. They should have classes on poker in college. Perhaps I will try again next semester with some econ classes. I dont know. I might just sit around and make a shitload of money playing poker. If you are making pleanty of money without college and dont get anything ouit of it, I see no reason at all to go.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:31 AM

Besides, can't you still buy the TA's notes? You don't even have to go to friggin class! And their notes were far better than mine....
Old 08-26-2005, 04:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are making pleanty of money without college and dont get anything ouit of it, I see no reason at all to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think all you get out of an education is a job, you're mistaken.
I still think you're just in the wrong major. Take some statistics, or physics. More math will help your Poker game, so you'll be getting something out of it even if you become the next Phil Ivey.

But I'm through arguing this point. Go ahead and drop out, and let someone who appreciates it take over. But you'll regret it. I promise.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i got really drunk and my dick just would not get hard for this bitch

[/ QUOTE ]

This, I have major problems with. Once I reach the 15 beer marker, then down she goes with no return. Yet I never learn to drink less, i dunno, i am dumb.

Anyway, try drinking again. I know alot of kids like you that don't drink as well, they are cool, but i just dont understand them. Have a beer...wherever. Playing poker, watching tv, anything. I am not saying alchohol is the solution in life, but at our age, it plays a big part in the social agenda.

As to your original post, i feel like you want to drop out of school more than you want to play poker professionally- Meaning you want to play poker just because you hate your college.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:32 AM

Here's a thought...

I just went through the whole application process 2 years ago, and it seems that there has been an increase in the number of kids going to college in the last 10 years. It may be an illusion, or just incorrect, but if so, the trend could be a result of kids going who just don't belong. College is a great time, but not everyone can handle it, and there is also the pipe dream of pro poker, made more illustrious by the poker "boom." I know so many fish who have had great weeks on PP and it can be deceiving - especially to themselves.

Whatever, I love college, can't wait to go back. It's such a dream - real life in a bubble. Can't see an easier way to live. Provided you are lucky enough to do it, I might add.

Brian
Old 08-26-2005, 06:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem with the parties is that I really dont like to drink. It might just be from 2 bad experiences...the first where i got really drunk and my dick just would not get hard for this bitch and the second when i passed out in the woods at some random ass college in Atlanta.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
Old 08-26-2005, 07:44 AM

I was wondering the same as I plodded through that thread the other day ... but my initial reaction is still my reaction.

College for ... = sleep, weed, girls, and beer.

College for ... = lots of time in a dorm room on a computer

For completeness, college for ... = beer, girls, and waking up in dumpsters (in precisely that order)

College has two primary benefits:

1) The educational one, which can mean many things to you depending on where you are in life. For me, a degree from an Ivy League school put the right words on a resume so I could get a well-paying job I hate. I learned little/nothing ... but that's just me.

2) The social one, which is different for everyone (see discussion above).

So if neither of these are part of your college experience, then quit.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
that would have been a nice experience, mine was working 25 to 40 hours a week at a "good" job making about 3 times minimum wage, with a wife I didnt much care for and a kid I would gladly die for. I finished because I was stuborn. I always saw myself as a collage grad, so i finished.
[/quote

OMG, thats almost identical to my college experience except I let the b!tch and the job bring me down enough to quit. I've regretted it ever since even though I have managed to find a good paying career that I love.