Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 06:22 PM

Default Re: is this a wise investment?

What's wrong with just sending them to instantbankroll.com?
Old 08-04-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's wrong with just sending them to instantbankroll.com?

[/ QUOTE ]

definitely. my roommate had a tough run at empire last year, was in for about $300. after cleaning up his game and getting instantbankroll, he turned it into $500 and cashed out. He's now having a pretty good run at pokerroom's $22 sng's.

instant bankroll is definitely the way to go.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've built up a pretty nice bankroll through bonus whoring and a good run at the SNGs. I tell my friends about how easy bonus whoring is, and they want to do it, but just aren't willing to risk the start up money.

My plan is to simply back them with the standard deal: split the winnings 50-50, if they lose it's on me. I'll back them for any of the Party skin sign up bonuses, and the deal ends as soon as they clear the bonus.

These are smart guys, UCLA science students, and I trust them. They have a good amount of home game experience, and have watched some WSOP and WPT stuff, so they aren't complete novices. I will require them to read GSIH and SSH before they start playing. Before they finish clearing the bonus, they must post ten (or some other number) hands they weren't sure about on this forum, and read the responses. They will play 1-2 limit holdem, no more than two tables at a time. No alcohol while playing.

My guess is that after reading those two books and talking to me about them, they will be slightly better than break even players. Combined with the huge overlay of clearing the bonuses, this seems like a good investment for me. I'm also hoping that they will catch the poker bug, so I'll have some more people to talk strategy with.

What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

A better deal would be to have them sign up, use you as a reference, then YOU play their bonus for them and take your money+winnings, leaving them an account with their initial deposit + half the bonus.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A better deal would be to have them sign up, use you as a reference, then YOU play their bonus for them and take your money+winnings, leaving them an account with their initial deposit + half the bonus.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I understand this scheme. Here's the situation: I have lots of disposable money but I don't feel comfortable moving up in limits just yet. They want to play, but don't have the disposable money. I'm looking for something to do with my extra money that will be profitable, and if I can do some friends a favor at the same time, seems pretty sweet to me.

Your scheme sounds like me simply giving them cash. I risk the money, put in the hours clearing the bonus, and all they do is provide the account? I'm already playing as much poker as I want to for myself.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I gotta say, if there were anyone that should do this (and I don't think there is, for all the aforementioned reasons), you are not the guy to do it. You sound like somebody's father, putting conditions on what kind of summer job they have to have before they can use the car.

Were I one of your "friends," and you came to me with this proposition, it's less than even money that I wouldn't punch you. Or, take you up on it and lose your money out of spite.

And, it's cheaper to buy your friends on Santa Monica Blvd., anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe, yeah my terms are a bit strict. That's why I slowly reveal them.

Actually for someone who likes to play poker, likes to read about poker, and likes a free shot at making a hundred or more bucks, are the terms really that strict? Thinking more about it, they seem quite reasonable. From what I've read about backing deals (this month's magazine, Fossilman's webpage), it's a good idea to be as explicit as possible with these things.

Supposing you had to do this, how would you change the conditions?
Old 08-04-2005, 08:21 PM

I would just loan them the roll, no questions asked, and no strings attached. If they bust, too bad and they don't have to pay it back. (You're friends after all, and its just chips for crying out loud) If they win enough to be properly rolled even if they pay you back, then they pay you back.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After thinking about it it still doesn't sound like a good idea.

Why do they need to play 1/2 when there are lower limits available and they can bonus whore effectively against worse players at .50/1.00?

[/ QUOTE ]

From my understanding, the clearance rate at 1/2 is substantially better than that at .5/1

Am I wrong?
Old 08-04-2005, 08:37 PM

You are correct but the players are substantially better too.

I know lots of really smart people who really suck at poker. Heck, my boss is a math pHD and he thinks he is a winning roulette player.

-DeathDonkey
Old 08-04-2005, 08:41 PM

it is not a wise investment. keep your $ in your bankroll. you deserve it.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These are smart guys, UCLA science students, and I trust them. They have a good amount of home game experience, and have watched some WSOP and WPT stuff, so they aren't complete novices.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well gee whiz, what are you waiting for??! If you don't stake them I will!