Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2005, 04:48 PM

Default My craziest thought ever

So I was a little [censored] up last night and went to the late showing of March of the Penguins. Lets just say that I was doing some really deep thinking throughout the movie.

At some point I realize that given infinite time, many crazy things are possible. Because there are a finite number of combinations for DNA proteins to line up, the exact same person could be created twice. This really blew my mind.

Please respond with your thoughts on this subject, or tell me why it is flawed.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:54 PM

Default Re: My craziest thought ever

they are called identical twins.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:57 PM

owned
Old 08-07-2005, 05:00 PM

Not just identical twins though. I mean trillions of years apart, different situations, same person. So theoretically in a bigger time scale you could have a guy that shares your DNA hook up with a girl that shares your wife/gf's DNA. Was pretty freaky to me last night.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:21 PM

So if the Universe collapses back in on itself and pops back out as another big bang on the other side, and does this a sufficient number of Googleplexes upon Googleplexes, it should redevelop somewhere down the line exactly as it did this time, thus producing you and me again. Haven't we been through this before?

PairTheBoard
Old 08-07-2005, 05:41 PM

no, the op is not "owned". his observation is very interesting and both you and pizowned are just turning his interesting post into a joke.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:16 PM

Ok i realize this isnt a poker forum but for the sake of analogy ill use this. His argument is similar to saying that every possible poker hand has already been played. You take a 10 handed table and every possible combination of starting cards, board cards, and even folds, bets, and calls have been made before in an infinate sample bc there is a limited number of potential combinations. The same argument could be made for DNA right?
Old 08-07-2005, 06:41 PM

I was thinking this not long ago too!

My chain of thought was brough on after reading that there was a 1 in 6.5 billion chance of a false positive in DNA crime scene matching. So, I took that to mean that there are 6.5bn different permutations of DNA - is that correct, and if so, what would someone with my identical DNA look like?

Obviously environmental and upbringing would have a lot to do with it, but would this person look like me? There's around 6bn people on earth just now, so it's not unlikely there's a few matches for me, or others.

Thoughts?
Old 08-07-2005, 08:10 PM

"So if the Universe collapses back in on itself and pops back out as another big bang on the other side, and does this a sufficient number of Googleplexes upon Googleplexes, it should redevelop somewhere down the line exactly as it did this time, thus producing you and me again."

One googolplex is enough. Learn some math and spelling.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"So if the Universe collapses back in on itself and pops back out as another big bang on the other side, and does this a sufficient number of Googleplexes upon Googleplexes, it should redevelop somewhere down the line exactly as it did this time, thus producing you and me again."

One googolplex is enough. Learn some math and spelling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, one One would have been enough. And Googleplex is the correct spelling for the word Googleplex.

PairTheBoard