Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 06:32 PM

Default Tunica Horseshoe - 20/40 Hand

I've been having fun (ie. beating bad) this game for a couple of days. This hand involves a donkey (Donkey) and a person who I believe plays for a living, who I perceive to be a good, thinking player that is likely better than me and who is a nice guy too (Superstar).

Donkey is UTG with any 2 cards and he calls the BB.

Superstar is UTG+1 and calls with what could be any range of hands given the Donkey's call and the type of game this is (loose and only moderately aggressive).

I'm on the button with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and I raise, Donkey calls and Superstar calls.

Flop is something like K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Donkey checks, Superstar checks and I check because I wanted to send a message to the entire table that checking on the flop after you've raised is permitted (and because I knew Donkey wouldn't fold and it was unlikely Superstar would fold).
I planned on folding the turn if someone bet unless I hit something.

I hit something -- something like 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] giving me the nut flush draw and an overcard.

Donkey bet, Superstar raised, I called quickly (and "quickly" is important because Superstar later told me so), and Donkey folded (shockingly).

River is another 6 and Superstar checks to me and I throw in a crying bet hoping he'd fold a worse hand.

He called and turned over 99.

What'cha think of Superstar's call? Forget about my play, as it was perfect!
Old 11-07-2005, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Tunica Horseshoe - 20/40 Hand

[ QUOTE ]
What'cha think of Superstar's call?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not a good play but the bad thing is I understand it because I've made that mistake every now and then for the last ten years and I've just recently rid myself of it.

It goes like this:
He thinks hmm, "Why did (hero) just check behind on that flop after raising? The only hand that makes sense is KK or AhKh because he's not the type to just give up."
Then the turn comes and he thinks,
"Ok he's definitely slowplaying KK or AhKh, odd that he didn't reraise me though. Maybe he wants to keep UTG in."

With the board pairing on the river he obviously should have check-raised you once you bet but he just KNEW you had KK or a weird hand that wouldn't call.

About once a week I screwed up and got carried away with my hand reading when I held a good hand and I didn't make the right play as a result. I forgot that sometimes solid players do weird stuff and it's not necessarily that they flopped a monster. I've recently corrected that but I can at least see how an otherwise good player sometimes falls into that trap.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:32 PM

Well with a quick call, I'd be pretty damn sure you're on a draw here. So I'd check so you can bluff at it. If I misread and your check and quick call meant monster, no reason to raise just to find KK.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:42 PM

I think superstar forgot to raise preflop.

As far as the river, he's putting you on the one hand that beats him even though all you've done postflop is check and call. Seems a bit timid to me.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:43 PM

You remember superstars name? I think I might know him. His no raise with 99 utg+1 is also reflective.

blake
Old 11-08-2005, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What'cha think of Superstar's call?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not a good play but the bad thing is I understand it because I've made that mistake every now and then for the last ten years and I've just recently rid myself of it.

It goes like this:
He thinks hmm, "Why did (hero) just check behind on that flop after raising? The only hand that makes sense is KK or AhKh because he's not the type to just give up."
Then the turn comes and he thinks,
"Ok he's definitely slowplaying KK or AhKh, odd that he didn't reraise me though. Maybe he wants to keep UTG in."

With the board pairing on the river he obviously should have check-raised you once you bet but he just KNEW you had KK or a weird hand that wouldn't call.

About once a week I screwed up and got carried away with my hand reading when I held a good hand and I didn't make the right play as a result. I forgot that sometimes solid players do weird stuff and it's not necessarily that they flopped a monster. I've recently corrected that but I can at least see how an otherwise good player sometimes falls into that trap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats pretty much what he told me after the hand. I was shocked to see the boat, but understood it after the hand. The only hand I would have likely bet and called a raise on was a lower boat or a flush. I raise in his situation every time. Actually I bet out in his situation almost every time.

The one blatant error I saw people make repeated in Tunica was not value betting the river. So many bets left on the table.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

River is another 6 and Superstar checks to me and I throw in a crying bet hoping he'd fold a worse hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?
Old 11-12-2005, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

River is another 6 and Superstar checks to me and I throw in a crying bet hoping he'd fold a better hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 11-12-2005, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

River is another 6 and Superstar checks to me and I throw in a crying bet hoping he'd fold a better hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

ty
Old 11-13-2005, 05:11 AM

I need to find out what these people look like for my future Tunica trips.

It's like PokerTracker for real life.